HybridZ

One-wire alternator for S30 race car

Hi all,

I know the alternator swap has been talked about and documented a lot here and on other forums, but I'm having a hard time finding specific info for:

I have a vintage/historic 240z which I've rewired, completely tore out the old wiring harnesses. I'd like to put in a one-wire alternator, using the same bracket. When I called Motorsport Auto about the 60-Amp Alternator Upgrade Kit, 70-73 240Z

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/spring03a/12-4068

They said that was for the standard harness, not a one-wire set up. 

So, does anyone know if I can use that as a one-wire set up. Or, is there a Bosch/GM/whatever one-wire alternator I can get that will bolt right in using the current brackets?

thanks

Bill Oakes

53170 remy 10si works but you have to fabricate a bracket. Not much else is bolt on other than the 14592's (again remy part #)  Some guys use the 280zx hitachi units. (not 1 wire) but only requires 1 key switch activation wire with a diode, and a battery + wire. Jump the sense to the battery stud, i run it on both my Z's 14592 remy units and barely tax it running an electric pump, lights, fan, fuel injection.  Be careful with true 1 wire setups if you run an AGM battery.  I run many on the bench every week new out of the box that charge at 15.1 and higher initially when they activate and hang there for a good 3 minutes sometimes (both china and domestic remans).  Its just the way many of the regulators work on those 1 wire units. That voltage will cook an AGM battery in no time at all, and also will cause a lead acid lots of times to release fluid due to bubbling so much during the initial activation/replenish cycle after starting especially on towards end of cycle batteries. Food for thought. AGM's don't like anything over 14.6

Edited by motomanmike

I would recommend finding a bracket at a picknpull or any jy of some sort and cut that one. If i am not mistaken you can use any alternator bracket from any L series engine and just drill the sucker, it is definitely worth it. I am not exactly sure what kind of amperage you want but you can get stock 95 amp alternators for cheap. In the aftermarket i think they can go up to 140 amp. They are versatile that is all. Personally i have done two of them and I have had good results so far.