HybridZ

Phantoms 280Z28

I finally got a chance, after nearly two years, to spend some time with the Z.  I started by replacing the original 1998 AC Delco plugs. They only had 37,000 miles on them but, come on, they were 15 years old.  Anyway - picked up a set of E3's and installed them.  After that I pulled the K&N filter to clean and re-oil it. It never did ring my bell as it had always seemed a bit small so I found a Spectre filter at Autozone that has about 3x the filtration area.  The next day it got a Mobil 1 oil & filter change.  The extra fire and breathing definitely brought life back into the car that I didn't realize I had lost.

The conversion now has 10 years and 34,000 miles on it and it is still solid.  I had it out today and garnered a couple compliments.  Actually, it's a rare outing that doesn't get at least one good comment on it.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is the oil pressure.  It used to always be a solid 60 psi.  Now the engine needs to be at around 1700 RPM to get that pressure.  At idle the pressure gauge needle drops all the way to the left - then other times I'll be sitting at a stop light and the pressure will rise from nothing up to the 60 psi mark. I'm thinking at this point that it's an electrical issue with either the sender or the gauge as I'm not hearing seeing any mechanical secondary symptoms.

Long time no see!  I do not know if you remember us DFW Z owners meeting at The Motorplex for some 1/4 mile passes many years ago. I had the Purple Turd with a sbc in it.  I am putting a 6 liter in mine know, got to get up to date with technology...fuel injection...LOL.  Hope all is well in your world.

Mike...aka Zfan.

Edited by Zfan1

Zfan, certainly remember you and the 383 stroker. Car really ran.

I've been on the track twice up here. Blew a half shaft ujoint the first time and got rained out the second.

Thanks for the tip on the oil pick-up tube o-ring. I need to check it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So - oil pressure is back where it's supposed to be with the new sending unit. E-brake is reinstalled after tearing it up on the strip 5 years ago.  Now have a new Techno Toys coil-over suspension that feels really good.  Also replaced the right rear caliper that sprung a leak a while back.  Engine is running really well.  Really lit it up next to some golfers putting out on the 8th hole by my house.  I'm sure that thrilled them. :-) Next things to get on are the new HID headlights, upgraded dash lights, and the white faced gauge conversion. 'Course I still have to spend some time getting the series 1 240Z running.  Decisions, decisions.

Edited by Phantom

So - oil pressure is back where it's supposed to be with the new sending unit. E-brake is reinstalled after tearing it up on the strip 5 years ago.  Now have a new Techno Toys coil-over suspension that feels really good.  Also replaced the right rear caliper that sprung a leak a while back.  Engine is running really well.  Really lit it up next to some golfers putting out on the 8th hole by my house.  I'm sure that thrilled them. :-) Next things to get on are the new HID headlights, upgraded dash lights, and the white faced gauge conversion. 'Course I still have to spend some time getting the series 1 240Z running.  Decisions, decisions.

Actually, spend some money and get yourself some real gauges.  The stockers are only good for approximation anyways.  :)

I like the split gauges in the stock dash.  If I go Autometer or some other aftermarket I have to find a spot to put two additional gauges, my turn signal indicators, etc.  Original gauges are fine for my use.  I'm also very happy with the basically stock look of the inside of the car.  It messes with peoples minds when they finally notice the hurst shifter with the 6-spd pattern on it. :-)

I like the split gauges in the stock dash.  If I go Autometer or some other aftermarket I have to find a spot to put two additional gauges, my turn signal indicators, etc.  Original gauges are fine for my use.  I'm also very happy with the basically stock look of the inside of the car.  It messes with peoples minds when they finally notice the hurst shifter with the 6-spd pattern on it. :-)

Do yourself a favor and check out Speedhut gauges.  They offer much of what you are looking for, even when I bought mine 5 years ago.  My speedo has the high beam indicator as well as turn signals.  I, too, love the look of the stock gauges, but once you start swapping you really want good information as to the health of the car.  

I constantly mess with people's minds because they see 3 peddles but no clutch cylinder (I opted for the 4L60E in my swap - on purpose!).

Edited by ktm

Yeah, I almost put a 4l60E in mine but I like rowing too much.  If I had been building the car for 1/4 mile use I would have definitely done the auto.  It's just too much fun downshifting for stops and corners doing the throttle blip rpm matching and then selecting the right gear to power through the corners. :-).  When I do all that I'm driving the car by feel and sound.  don't look at the gauges all that much.  Just enough to keep from getting arrested or into the rev limiter when in a really big hurry.

The only reason I opted for auto this time around is due to LA traffic.  I never drove my turbo setup due to the clutch engagement and the stop and go traffic.  I've put more miles on my car this past year and the last 5 combined.

I guess that's the advantage of the LS1 over the turbo, torque is there instantly and is very flat giving it benign manners in stop-n-go traffic.  I drove mine in Dallas-Ft. Worth traffic with the T56 for years with no issues.  I averaged about 8k per year driving the car to/from work and on errands. I must admit, though, that even DFW doesn't hold a candle to LA when it comes to miserable rush-hour traffic. I remember driving in on a Friday night about midnight a long time ago and I thought I'd driven into a Grand Prix. Locals were making up for the rush-hour traffic a few hours before.

Edited by Phantom