HybridZ

i got brave and crawled under the beast after steam cleaning.  there is a leak at the transmission located at the speedometer cable.  i have done some research and figure that the O rings inside the pinion are bad?  after cleaning i inspected the cable at the transmission and it was loose to the point that i could easily tighten the collar on the line to transmission by hand.  is this the adjustment for the speedometer or should this be tight?  the speedometer cable has a nut and a collar which are both adjustable and both were loose.  while tightening both the nut and collar move together.  when loosening the line the nut type adjuster moves independently from the collar.  is this normal? i am going to take it apart and replace the O rings but i am worried about tightening this cable after repair.

i am not trusting my instincts on this one. excuse my ignorance but i am slowly coming up to speed with the average site member here.  should take me 10 years or so and i am so there.  

hi Domzs

thanks for helping me again.  try again:  there are 2 things to tighten, the line nut and the threaded collar which attaches to transmission.   when i tightened the collar the line nut moved with the collar.  as i tightened the 2 which moved together a small leak started.  i loosened the line nut which did not back off the threaded collar and the leak stopped so i stopped at that point.  if u need a pic of the cable attachment i will get one.

Your leak is most probably the speedopinion oil seal. The o-ring on the speedo housing is also a possiblity, but its a static seal where the pinion Lip seal has constant rotating wear.

The parts you will need

Oil seal 32709-14600 (for speedo pinion shaft) +/- $3.00

O-Ring 32710-14600 (for speedo pinion housing) +/- $1.50

Dont know what you mean about the collar?

thanks for responding EuroDat,

i think you are right about the rings and thanks for the part info.  i think the bad o-rings leaked when i tightened the collar and somehow backing just the nut at the end of the cable off a bit stopped the leak....maybe from o-ring rubber flopping around.  anyway, i will order the parts and go for it.  thanks a bunch!