HybridZ

Datsun 260Z Turbo S15 6 Speed TechnoToyTuning

Ok...

Going to post here to keep the build post complete.....

Did some adjustments today.

Moved the MAF as far away from turbo that was allowed. Went straight up to the radiator electric fans. I want to run the cold air in front of the radiator Another day I guess. This seems to have helped the idle and cruising in the car at steady speeds. Air/fuel is reading better on cruise as well, holding 15 to 16. At idle it seems to creep up out of scale. I have also unplugged the O2 sensor. Just trying things to see whats up.

Redid wiring as in putting a fuse block in that allows to clean up some wiring. I also put both fuel pumps on a relay, still ignition on. I will have the computer start it eventually. This took a lot of juice away from the coil. Man those pumps sound happier. This may have fixed my hard start/ no start. As stated above the coil would lock up. 

Dad took my brother out for a McDonald's run tonight. Bro wanted a McDouble. They messed with the boost controller, they just switched to A and B. I have the controller on off and pulls 5.6. On setting A it pulled 8.6 pounds. On setting B it should be 12 pounds. Well they got back and had a new max boost record of 16.5 pounds. They both came in with big smiles. Dad said everything happens way to quick. Specially when the only lights on are the tach. And I have red line set at 5500 rpm ,so the shift lights start coming on at 4500 rpm. They said its like a light show with that and the boost gauge and air fuel gauge flashing.

They both said it still seems to be cutting out. Not as bad as it did. Maybe need to move the MAF more. 

Stay tuned more little fixes to come. And body work. I will take some video this weekend driving to show how nice the six speed tranny is. Dad wants me to help him with a project he committed to for the school. Installing and hanging a new metal door for the locker room. Oh boy. Maybe film the drive to the school. 

Edited by tooquick260

Had a passenger this morning and took a short video. Low boost shifting at 5000 rpm. Tried to get the tunnel effect.

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/melbellwood1/media/20131026_092729_zpsfce4fdf6.mp4.html

The van got the jump  and was winding out. Had 2 young woman laughing keeping up with us through traffic.

car is running good now. 

Putting more miles on the car. Went to replace the rubber grommet bushings  in the steering rack. Removed the used ones that were in real good shape. The ones that I got from zstore where the wrong ones, one was correct passenger but the drivers side was not. 

Since the rubber grommets were in good shape I reinstalled the used ones. The car only has 80,000 miles on it. I was hoping this would fix the non centering steering problem. Did not help, because I did not change anything. 

Rebekahz told me to adjust the rack, loosen. I did that and it helped a little. I am going to loosen another 5 degrees and see what happens.

The only other thing it could be is the top bearing in the front struts.

The car runs great, still getting a ruff cruise, blurble a/f not happy a certain times if idling in 4th,5th 6th at less than 2100 rpm. If I go above 2500 seems to be happy. I am sure it is the mail order tune on the z31 ecu.

Other issue with starting the car is hit or miss. More miss now. I drove for about 50 miles and 10-12 starts with no problems. Then it will act like the battery is dying. If I unplug the ignitor trigger and coil wire, plus the connectors into the ecu. Then try cranking the car and it cranks like you have a new batter. Replug everything and wala it starts.

Blew the other side of the cupler today.  So When I fixed the one I did not take the time to look at the other side. It was off enough to allow low boost, but as soon as higher boost 8+ would make that boot leak. Fixed again, too tired to test tonight. Will drive to work again.

Checking over the car while I re-connected the other coupler, I found eshaust nuts loose. I retightened them as well as the 4 bolts on the turbo down pipe. I will have to keep an eye on those. They were loose the 3rd day I ran the car back 6 months ago. I will get under the car this weeked and check the ones on the underside of my heat shield. 

I now have both front turn signals form a 70-73 240z with wire harness. This along will my front spoiler that I have will be installed this weekend. Pictures to follow.

20131102_180737_zps0ovzbxmc.jpg20131102_180750_zpszsmjbsek.jpg20131102_180803_zpsdqcxl8uo.jpg20131102_181050_zpsvauhobnj.jpg2013-11-02%2020.20.24_zpsoanbki5v.png

Edited by tooquick260

Car has now developed an exhaust leak. Now that I have all the couplers holding pressure its spitting from some where else. Upon inspection the lower exhaust nuts/washers are loose. Seems the washers are collapsing between the intake and exhaust manifolds. 

It was to hot to work on. I will drive dads 300z to work and will work on it tomorrow after work. 

Stay tuned

Still have a short in electrical. No dash lights or wiper or rear defogger. Back track a little.... the rear defogger never worked since got the car. So dummy me, I put a fuse in and tried to it. Thats when I lost all the above. Can you say sizzle. Lost the oil pressure gauge as well. The gauge reads 80lbs all the time. Tested the sender and is good. Screwed in a oil pressure gauge and have good pressure. Will source a newsed gauge somewhere. Weird all the other gauges work, gas, water temp, amp and clock just no lights.

On to other things. Realized I have ngk rated 7 temp plugs and going to 8 on the plugs. Was told also the narrow ceramic tip plug I have is not good. So will be replacing that when I get back on the 23rd. Oh yeah,, I am in GreenBay WI for the next 2 weeks.

I also have been reading about the pcv valve. I have my crank case venting to atmosphere and the valve cover with just a filter. I am going to change that. Getting a PCV valve, plum into the intake and run the valve cover to the suction side of turbo. 

Today while I am in Wi, Dad and brother pulled the center console and installed a rubber mat around the hole for the shifter. Trying to cover up any holes that may leak exhaust fumes.

I also sealed all the tail light housings. Covered up the hole for the antennae drain. Covered the mysterious holes in the sub frame. 

20131117_161448_zpsvfpzjdsv.jpg20131117_161509_zpsbc9sqezn.jpg20131117_161746_zpsilzpvsbm.jpg

Still have exhaust fumes coming in. What gives. 

Also brother says that the diff bolts are loose again. He retightened them will see. He says that the car has created a stumble on light throttle.

Fixed exhaust leak, it was the bolt holes left open in the rear hatch compartment that held the 260 z bumper shocks in place. They were removed when i took the bumpers off. Never filled the holes!

Edited by tooquick260