HybridZ

Another VG30et swap

After almost a year since the beginning of the project I've decided to finally start a build thread.

What started as a vh45 swap (still have vh swap parts if anyone is interested  :icon12:  ) has turned into vg30 swap

Here's the progress so far:

20130304113203519.jpg

20130411163119635.jpg

20121004140739512.jpg

Wiring is almost done, holset is mounted and downpipe is done.

I'm using walbro 255 fuel pump and -8an and -6an fuel and return lines.

Holset is mounted using a modified turbo relocation pipe from Acadiana sports car

Still need to get a radiator, figure out how to mount alternator and how to route IC piping

For now I will be using 2nd gen dsm smic that I got from a friend.

Planning to run 6-8 psi until I get better injectors.

More pics coming soon.

Test fitted s130 radiator with taurus fan. Seems like it's a little too close to the turbo.

Seems like I have 2 options: trim radiator frame and fan shroud to fit a 90 degree elbow for intake, or somehow fit radiator through the hole and tilt it forward.

20130425194532931.jpg

Also finally clocked the turbo, which was a huge pita.

If I go with a blow through MAF setup, it'll save me a lot of time since I won't have to worry about intake piping around radiator.

If I set my maf sensor on the straight pipe about 6-7 inches away from throttle body and if I thermal wrap my downpipe to prevent heat soak, would it work fine without a tune?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see that the VG conversion is still alive and kicking.  I started a conversion that unfortunately had to sit for quite a while (a.k.a almost 20 years).

Good luck with it.  I'll be interested in how you do the electrics as I couldn't get my computer to power up.

I'll be posting up some info on my project some time, but unfortunately it's a long distance and long time love affair.  My Z is at my mom's place in Seattle and I now live in Sydney Aus.  Only make it back to the US once a year, max so it is back on hold for quite some time :(

Yeah I'm too deep into it to quit now, It's been almost  year now.

Wiring was probably the most difficult part of this project but it seems to be working. You just have to follow the diagram.

All you really need is s30 wiring diagram, z31 ignition and charging system diagram and vg30et ECU pinout.

Good luck with your project, it'll be worth it in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get it running today. Runs a bit rough but should run better when I fix all the vacuum lines.

Only problem so far is sometimes it hesitates when I open the throttle and sometimes dies after I close it.

Also found out my FPR is bad.

Running open downpipe

Congrats. That rough running is from being too rich from the vacuum leaks and un-tuned state, as well as the FPR, like you said. Runs way better than my broke, low-compression VG. Looks like your engine is the same position as mine. What kind of mounts do you have?

Congrats. That rough running is from being too rich from the vacuum leaks and un-tuned state, as well as the FPR, like you said. Runs way better than my broke, low-compression VG. Looks like your engine is the same position as mine. What kind of mounts do you have?

Thanks. But hey at least your car is complete and drivable and there are lots of VGs at junkyards. I still have a lot of work to do just to be able to drive it. Engine should be in about the same position since we both used stock mounts to mount it. Basically I just have 2 brackets that connect stock engine mounts to mounts on cross member. I'm still trying to find a drive shaft that would fit my car since my stock 5 speed shaft was too long. Transmission is 25.3 inches away from differential.

Thanks. But hey at least your car is complete and drivable and there are lots of VGs at junkyards. I still have a lot of work to do just to be able to drive it. Engine should be in about the same position since we both used stock mounts to mount it. Basically I just have 2 brackets that connect stock engine mounts to mounts on cross member. I'm still trying to find a drive shaft that would fit my car since my stock 5 speed shaft was too long. Transmission is 25.3 inches away from differential.

I used the 280Z 4 speed driveshaft with the VG's Nissan 71C transmission. I also used the 280Z transmission crossmember (although I had to swap the isolator or something, can't remember, but it was bolt on).

Congrats!  Great to see you got it running.

Thanks!

I think if SOMEONE (HINT HINT) would make a swap kit, this swap would be way more popular.

Haha I wouldn't have time nor resources for that.. Plus where is the fun in a bolt on swap kit that doesn't require any serious work??

I used the 280Z 4 speed driveshaft with the VG's Nissan 71C transmission. I also used the 280Z transmission crossmember (although I had to swap the isolator or something, can't remember, but it was bolt on).

Hm I'm using the same transmission with stock 280z crossmember. I guess I need to find a 4 speed driveshaft. Either that or pay $300 for a custom one.