HybridZ

Triple webers 40dcoe or 45dcoe? And muffler question.

Sotenacious

Hello hybrid z I have a question regarding the triple weber carb kit that is for L series engines. Well i am planning on getting the carb kit but i'm not sure which one to get. Here is a video of my car specs on the engine are in the description.

Not sure what cam but here is what i think it is Grind: 17036. Lift(In/Ex): .495/.495. Duration(In/Ex): 290/290 any thoughts on this.

I don't think you have that aggressive of a cam. it idles too smoothly. I had a stage 4 cam kit from MSA (the one with the specs you described) and it idled like a muscle car. I had triple weber 40's and a 6-1 header with a 3" exhaust to some no name super turbo muffler. 

http://s995.photobucket.com/user/Richard316/media/My%20260Z/PICT0034.mp4.html

If you want to keep it fairly streetable you should get the 40's.

Edited by BluDestiny

I don't think you have that aggressive of a cam. it idles too smoothly. I had a stage 4 cam kit from MSA (the one with the specs you described) and it idled like a muscle car. I had triple weber 40's and a 6-1 header with a 3" exhaust to some no name super turbo muffler. 

http://s995.photobucket.com/user/Richard316/media/My%20260Z/PICT0034.mp4.html

If you want to keep it fairly streetable you should get the 40's.

Well its going to be a weekend car. Not really going on the track. I know im going to have to port match with the 45's what is the difference in terms of how the perform?

I have a 3.1L with a similar grind cam and I'm currently going through the process of rebuilding and installing 40 DCOE's.  I currently have SU's with SM needles.  I run out of steam around 5500 RPM.  My car doesnt do any track time, and is a weekend driver...that being said, I'm more interested in street-ability with revs staying under 6500-7000 RPM.  DCOE's are almost infinitely adjustable, and for a mild street motor, I'm thinking 40's will be fine, just need to play with chokes and jets if I run out of breathing room at higher RPM.  But for me, I'm more interested in balance and fun throughout the entire rev range...so for MY application, the 40's will hopefully be enough until I save up enough disposable income for ITB's.

Carbs only.  Linkage and other stuff is still on car.

$400 for all 3?  A new owner would need to rejet them, although I have a setup for a mild Z I can give you.

45f9 / 115 or 120 mains / 30 and 34 chokes.  They also have an extra Progression hole CNC milled.

DCOE Carbs are not plug and play..  they will change your life forever so don't expect greatness without a big investment in time and search-function.

I had them running pretty darn good and dyno'd up to 7000+ RPM

I don't mean to jack your thread.  I apologize for putting this here. 

The carbs, and how they're set up, need to be matched to the cam primarily. Naturally there's tuning involved for other modifications though. There used to be a little dos program floating around the web that Dave Andrews did up (around 1997 i believe) for the 510 crew that gives the information you need to properly setup a set of DCOEs based on engine size & peak power rpm. I have it saved at home.

Anyway, if you want, & have a cam that can provide peak power much above 6000rpm=270+ duration, you're better off with the 45s. The 40s flow capability really levels off above a 34mm choke. It doesn't really matter what cam you have, or carbs really, if you use a 32mm choke, your peak power will occur below 6000rpm. If that's where you want the power to peak at, then you might as well use a stock induction setup, with a stage 1 cam, as that's what they're built to do.