HybridZ

Hey guys, I'm finally getting around to installing poly bushings on my 72 240z. I ordered what I thought were the correct bushings for my car since they are for 70-73 240z. I went to install them today and they fit really bad around the rack and I can't get the steering rack back into the mounting point. I did some research and found that the bushings are different by they thickness on the sides and there are some differences between the two racks but how do I tell if I have a 280z rack? I found some information on that too but it is still unclear to me. The previous owner installed a L28, so I'm thinking it's possible he installed the rack as well. I don't really wan to waste money on another set of bushings. Thanks for the help, sorry for the noob question.

Matt

The poly bushings for the steering rack are VERY tight. We had to soak them in hot water in an attempt to make them softer. We also used longer screws

(that hold the rack down) to get the brackets on. After the brakets are pulled down into the bushings you can exchange the long screws for the correct screws one at a time.

I had a problem like this recently on my 260z - completely ill-fitting, terrible struggles.  Bottom line: the Prothane bushings I bought were the wrong ones in the right box.  Was 240z bushings in a 280z labelled box.  My supplier Zcarsource in Phoenix came through with an Energy Suspension kit instead, fit very well.  Prothane are one piece bushings with a split joint.  Energy Suspension are 2 piece, install a bit easier.  Engine was out, so access no problem.

In my case, passenger side was too loose (240z is thinner, I believe), allowed rack to slide.  Driver side was way too tight, too wide and I.D. too small.  If parts mixup, I would guess you have kinda the opposite issue?

Passenger side looked like this (again, this is my 260z - 280z-style rack):

IMAG1124_zps26f95542.jpg

Driver's side - showing gap.  Had actually shaved the width already just to get it seated in the channel:

IMAG1126_zpsd613562d.jpg

Side by side - width difference evident on passenger side (right), inner diameter difference on driver side (left):

IMAG1127_zps4a6f2c43.jpg

Edited by Zipper

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this, sorry guys. They are Prothane bushings. I heard that it is pretty impossible to make them fit perfectly and that I just have to tighten everything down as much as I could.  I tried to install again today but again no luck. I wish my engine was pulled because I am having trouble getting to everything. I'm going to try the boiling water method in a couple of days and see if I can get it to work. If that doesn't work I think I'm going to look into the Energy suspension bushings since it would be easier to install, hopefully.

I ended up trimming mine a bit at a time until they were snug and was able to use my stock bolts.  It also helped to use some penetrating lube so it went together a tad easier.  RebekahsZ is right, you'll enjoy the lack of rack movement in your newly found steering response!