HybridZ

240z with Rotary?

Theres a mint 240 shell for sale for 450$ just around the corner from my place and i immediately started scheming. I decided that if i was to buy the shell, id want to build something fairly unique so after flipping through a couple different sites and forums, a 240z powered buy a possible rx7/rx8 rotary would be kinda unheard of. 

Any thoughs/suggestions? I know it'll take a deep pocket for such a project but would it be worth it?

YEah, Especially if it's in great shape. buy it.  I'm sure there's not that many S30's left in Canada.  Even going back to stock shouldn't be very expensive.  As for Rotary, The RX8 13b is a pretty great engine, but you'll eat clutches and you HAVE to use the Mazda tranny, since it's geared for the high RPM of the Rotary.  now a 3 or even 4 rotor Rotary would be especially awesome.

You can make some power out of a rotary enging, we used one on a smaller pulling tractor and had it run on alchol and turned close 12 thousand easy. We ran it in a light all open class for years. They can be modified for a unique sound and power. I have even seen where a guy modified one to run off of propane. It didnt run run very good but it still worked. They are a clever designed little engines.

If the shell is as mint as you say for $450, buy buy buy!!!! Powerplant scheming can wait until it's safely secured in the garage!

IF'' mint '', buy it and flip to me for ..... lets say 1,200.00 US $   :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

im thinking pretty seriously about this now and have put  down-payment on the shell. only thing im still questioning now is would it be possible to get better fuel mileage (this car would be a daily) through ECU tuning or would it be better to just build the car around a fuel stable build? i know rotary engines arnt made to be good on gas but im pretty uncomprimising on the power and weight savings

My old RX7 got decent mileage, BUT it didn't really matter just how I drove it, since I was always in the 5-8K RPM range. Most of the time I was gettign about 20 MPG on a 13B.  I've heard that a well running L28 can do 25-28MPG pretty easilly. That's good for a DD. Now if you go with a 4 cyl like the KA24, or the SR20, you can get into the 30's depending on the weight of your foot.  Again the Rotary engine, you'll need the tranny from it, because it's geared for higher RPM.  A 20B would be great, but it's not cheap to get a hold of.  I love the Rotaries, they're a pretty crazy design, but they are limited in a few areas. Biggest issue I've seen are burnt clutches.  I'd love to see a hybrid electric powered by rotary.  That'd be pretty cool.  anyhow...

im thinking pretty seriously about this now and have put  down-payment on the shell. only thing im still questioning now is would it be possible to get better fuel mileage (this car would be a daily) through ECU tuning or would it be better to just build the car around a fuel stable build? i know rotary engines arnt made to be good on gas but im pretty uncomprimising on the power and weight savings

The RX7 guys always said their engines were advertised as 1.3L, were sort of actually 2.6L, and wasted as much gas as a 5.0L. Just something to ponder ;)

I wouldn't give a damn about mileage, personally. Throw a mean 20B into that thing and push for a reliable 500whp :wink: