HybridZ

Possibly fried something while jump starting?

I've been gone for a while so when I came home naturally I wanted to drive my z. Only when I get in my car I fine that the key was left on and the battery is trash. (I leave my keys in the ignition in case someone needs to move it) So I pull out the jumper cables and it fires right up...for about four seconds. Now it won't start. It still has spark and fuel pressure so I think it's an injection problem. All the fuses and fusible links are still good. Has anybody ever had this problem? What should I be looking for? I hope I didn't fry something major. Oh yeah it's a stock 77 280Z.

Thanks

So is the battery holding a charge? unless you put the connections the wrong way it shouldn't have affected anything. I was stupid once and connected a ground where I shouldn't have and it ended up burning the wire up, but it still worked.

It will hold the charge for a while but not for more than a day. It ran perfectly fine for a few seconds before just dying. I hadn't even taken off the jumper cables yet.

So you charge it with a battery charger and it loses it's charge by the next day? Replace the battery.

No it won't do anything but turn over now.

Back to basics . What's missing , spark and/or fuel ? If you carb spray it and it runs then your ignition is ok . Move on to fuel system , check for pressure and injector pulse .

If it makes you feel better, a cheap generic battery tiedown snapped in my 77 while autocrossing, and the battery fell down and welded the positive post to a braided ground strap. It was like that for about a minute or so, but it fired back up and ran just fine. I think it may have led to a phantom draw issue, but I've been lazy and just leave the battery disconnected rather than trace it so far.

A Z of this vintage shouldn't have problems with a jump start, but anything is possible. A voltage surge can potentially fry an ECU. One quick way to check injector function is with a stethoscope. Are they clicking while the engine is cranking? Lacking a stethoscope a long screwdriver with the handle in your fist and against your ear, the other end on an injector.