HybridZ

Am I going to spill coolant everywhere when changing this?

So, I have a bad heater T-valve in my car and ordered a new one to replace it.  The bad valve is part of the heater hose connection.  If I disconnect these hoses to replace the valve, will I drop a ton of coolant everywhere or just a little?

Bad Valve

post-29804-0-05070000-1368045628_thumb.jpg

New Valve

post-29804-0-81324300-1368045889_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by AkiraZX

Fluid in the cooling system will drain out until the new fluid level is at the level of the part you've removed.  Therefore, it depends on the level of the fluid in your cooling system before you start.  Check under the radiator cap to get an estimate.

I would replace hoses also while you're at it.  They're probably old and ready to split, which sucks if it happens wile you're driving.  Especially if you don't notice until your temp. gauge is pegged out.  Domzs's suggestion reminded me, since pinching an old hose will often cause it to split. 

They do look old . If your coolant is nasty , check the rest of your hoses and flush your system while you are at it .

Coolant shouldn't be nasty since I just recently replaced the radiator and flushed the system.  I replaced the radiator because I was told the old one was busted and leaking.  After I replaced it, I noticed that I was still losing coolant but, at a slower rate.  After a lot of searching, I finally located the leak and it was that valve.  

I'm not an automotive guru like many people on this forum but, I am capable of doing a lot of smaller things myself.  This doesn't appear to be out of the realm of what I can handle however, I was curious as to the amount of fluid I'd lose in the process.  I don't have a garage or a house.  I live in a condo and I'm pretty sure the associating wouldn't take too kindly to me dumping a ton of coolant in the parking lot...  I'd prefer not to take it to a shop because I'm not trying to pay out the butt to have this seemingly minor then repaired.  I guess my next line of business then is to find all the proper replacement hoses.

Thanks again, all.

I think I'll use a catch pan and just remove the hoses from the valve and hope that it doesn't spill out too much.  I'd like to replace the hoses but, one of the hoses is part of the combination heater hose that goes through the firewall.  I'm not willing to pull my dash apart to change that am I'm not going to pay someone to do it either.  I only plan on running this engine for one more year before swapping it out.  Hopefully the current hoses will last for another year.  As someone mentioned, the hoses do appear to be a little brittle from age.  I'm going to have to go about this carefully as to no crack or split one of the hoses.  

As for the engine swap next year, I'm thinking Arby's! (Get it?!!)

There should be a drain plug on the bottom of your radiator.  Designed with a hole or slot in it to dribble slowly when loosened so that you don't have to remove it completely to drain fluid.  You can reach it from the front of the car, it's either on the driver's side or in the middle.  Has wings like a wing nut.  For finger usage.