HybridZ

Thinking of buying this 240z, your thoughts?

Hey guys,

You guys have given me good input here before, so I figured I would see what you guys thought about this car I am currently interested in.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3758357768.html

The car seems pretty sold, seller seems very nice.

The battery tray area will need to be cut out, he sent me pictures and there is rust every where around that area, rusting through to the fenderwells in some places.

The door also looks like it has pretty bad rust on it.

So now for the question, how much do you think this car is worth?

About how much would a body shop charge to repair the rust in the battery tray area and door?

Thanks,

Keith

Not worth that much, I'd say $4-5k if nothing on the inside looks like crap and it runs good with no ghetto repairs. 

A body shop can charge anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand for a job like that. Depends how much its actually spread and if it messed up any of the body lines and stuff. 

A 280Z will never be a 240z. That car has "some" value on the east coast. Again its what you're willing to pay. I paid $5500 for my early 260z 6 years ago. It was well sorted and I really did nothing but paint it for the first few years I had it.

Definitely expensive, but from what I've heard from so many east-coasters, they CAN be worth it if they're in good shape. If the rust is truly minor, then it might actually be cheaper than shipping a CA car out. And just because a car is from CA doesn't mean it's rust free, you'd have to have someone who knows what they're looking for look at it for you.

If that sounds like too much time and headache, I'd say see if you can talk him down and be happy with whatever you get. The prices have been skyrocketing lately and finding a clean S30 even in the bay area for a reasonable price seems to be getting hard to do. Really gotta hunt with lots of patience, not in any sort of hurry.

I just spent $5,000 on a 9/71 240Z, most I've ever spent on a Z-Car.

Came with a pickup bed full of parts incl two blocks (original numbers-matching L24 is one, Comp-Prepped N42 is the other, spare for the one currently in the car), three heads, complete Isky cam setup new in box... Basically anything taken off the car for replacement by a modified or high-performance part was kept and put in storage and came with the car. I haven't seen such a nice set of original SU's in years!

Rust Free Simi Valley car from the son of the original owner, including all documentation.

Still think that SoCal trip is "hassle" and not worth it? Renting a tow dolly and Enterprise van would have cost me an additional $2,200 to the East Coast... I lay money the buy is a better deal renting the van, trailer, and. Paying the $800 in gas, plus a couple of hotel nights than just about ANY 280Z on the East Coast for comparable money.

Craigslist listed vehicle. EVERYBODY that called them tried to talk them down on price. I paid asking, no questions asked. That's when they said "I hope you have a big truck, there are a lot of spare parts that come with it as well..."

In the end, they were willing to come down and offered $1,000 of the price back to me since I had registration in CA to cover ($608), plus I didn't hassle them on the asking price whatsoever. I didn't ask for the money, they just blurted out "I forgot to tell you about all those back fees, here, you should have this back for the fees!" It was awkward, but I really appreciated the offer, it helped immeasurably with all that went on that day (broke spring shackle on Rusty Shackle Ford, bought in December BACK EAST!)

Funny how people give rebates when you treat them like humans with dignity and integrity. They truly were sad to see their 240 go after all these years. So really, it wasn't $5,000... I got a rebate! Still the most I ever paid for a Z... So yeah, the prices ARE rising...

All that being said...the car in the OPis a 240! And COULD be as rust-free as a comparative CA car if it was inland and didn't make it to the beach that much. Humidity near the coast can be insidious, and these cars rot inside out...with perforations in mid-panel... If the car is documented to be "inland Mobile" and didn't spend a lot of time getting flooded in the past few hurricanes (I'm not joking, GET UP UNDER THE DASH AND LOOK WITH A FLASHLIGHT!!!) then the price is not "expensive" and likely the 95% "solid" rust condition can be comparable to a CA car in similar environs of the Cantral Coast, or San Diego... Could be good, could be bad.

But compared to an inland CA car, with its life in the desert...almost ANYTHING is "rusty" by comparison.

I would likely take that car if inspection panned out, play up the rust and the "undesirable 1973 Model" aspects and try to get it closer to $4,500-5,000. The value and selling prices for 240's is indeed up, but the economy is still down...and pricing should reflect that!

Edited by Tony D

Buy a cheaper one and mod as you like. I got mine 1 month ago paid $1600 280z 1976. Rusted frame rail and some rust spots. Planning to spend another 4k and my car will look pretty good. You get the ideas.

You probably overpaid by about 100% in LA with frame rust, and a car needing a smog!

I could have sold you a 76 with NO RUST for $2,500... Did you want it with, or without factory air (GT one of both!) and a freshly rebuilt five speed... One of three bough out of a shop in Riverside that closed some years ago, mechanics lien cars...Wizard of Z's. picked up three 280Z's for $600, one of which went on to be "Mr Hankey" of LeMons Fame, inspiring at east three rule revisions...

Hell, for that matter...if the OP wants a 76 280 with factory air...bring a trailer and $2,500! Plenty of overhead to repair/modify/register/transport under the $6,900 asking price. Heck, I might even go back to the US to broker it!

I gotta move some of this crap out of my yard!

LOL

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So I am wondering how much money the battery tray area will set me back if I get a body shop to repair it. Has anyone on the board had this type of work done? If so a ball park figure would be nice.

Thanks,

Keith

LOL

Sweet Jesus son of Mary and Almighty, has hell frozen over?!?!?!?!

Somebody call Tony an ambulance, I think he's having a seizure!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So I am wondering how much money the battery tray area will set me back if I get a body shop to repair it. Has anyone on the board had this type of work done? If so a ball park figure would be nice.

Thanks,

Keith

If you need to bring it to a shop to have it repaired, I honestly wonder if owning any vintage car is really for you. You either need to have deep pockets, or willing to do the work yourself. The battery tray isn't too complicated of a repair, especially when you consider things like replacing the tail light area, lower rocker areas, or replacing entire floor pans...

I'm not trying to be mean, just hoping to shock you into reality. Old cars rust, and these Z cars weren't the greatest at preventing it. That means you better to prepared to deal with the consequences. 

Sweet Jesus son of Mary and Almighty, has hell frozen over?!?!?!?!

Somebody call Tony an ambulance, I think he's having a seizure!

If you need to bring it to a shop to have it repaired, I honestly wonder if owning any vintage car is really for you. You either need to have deep pockets, or willing to do the work yourself. The battery tray isn't too complicated of a repair, especially when you consider things like replacing the tail light area, lower rocker areas, or replacing entire floor pans...

I'm not trying to be mean, just hoping to shock you into reality. Old cars rust, and these Z cars weren't the greatest at preventing it. That means you better to prepared to deal with the consequences. 

Good point, but I consider myself a mechanical guy, with no body experience, or welding experience. I suppose I could learn, but id rather not learn on a car that I shell out 6k for. The car will be garaged, and never driven in the rain, so hopefully new rust wont (or will be slow to) occur.

Thanks again,

Keith

i want the wood steering wheel and un cracked dash.... lol

Anyway if there is already wholes from rust in obvious spots there is no  telling what will be hiding from ya.  I live in the desert were you can still find cars from the 50's that have no major rust issues  though.  Well that does depend on if it was left on the mesa, or indoors.  Seriously people think it is humid here if it is more than 15%.

If you do deiced to go for it though, I would suggest you find someone who has done body work in your area to come and inspect it before buying.  If nothing else spending a hundred on that can give you solid negotiating power.  It may also save you from a very costly body project.

Just had a lady inherit a 73 from her father...orange 73 with 140,000 miles on it. Original radio... She's fishing for $13K...

Nice car, original with smog DGV's on it...

Colton Car, inland valley low humidity, no rust.

PM and I can forward the e-mail that came into our clubs e-mail server.

OP, if you buy this car, spend $500 on a welder, a book, and some scrap.  Learn how to weld, and do it yourself.  You'll be happier in the long run, because in five years when you discover more rust, you'll know what to do.

I just spent $5,000 on a 9/71 240Z, most I've ever spent on a Z-Car.

Came with a pickup bed full of parts incl two blocks (original numbers-matching L24 is one, Comp-Prepped N42 is the other, spare for the one currently in the car), three heads, complete Isky cam setup new in box... Basically anything taken off the car for replacement by a modified or high-performance part was kept and put in storage and came with the car. I haven't seen such a nice set of original SU's in years!

Rust Free Simi Valley car from the son of the original owner, including all documentation.

Still think that SoCal trip is "hassle" and not worth it? Renting a tow dolly and Enterprise van would have cost me an additional $2,200 to the East Coast... I lay money the buy is a better deal renting the van, trailer, and. Paying the $800 in gas, plus a couple of hotel nights than just about ANY 280Z on the East Coast for comparable money.

Craigslist listed vehicle. EVERYBODY that called them tried to talk them down on price. I paid asking, no questions asked. That's when they said "I hope you have a big truck, there are a lot of spare parts that come with it as well..."

In the end, they were willing to come down and offered $1,000 of the price back to me since I had registration in CA to cover ($608), plus I didn't hassle them on the asking price whatsoever. I didn't ask for the money, they just blurted out "I forgot to tell you about all those back fees, here, you should have this back for the fees!" It was awkward, but I really appreciated the offer, it helped immeasurably with all that went on that day (broke spring shackle on Rusty Shackle Ford, bought in December BACK EAST!)

Funny how people give rebates when you treat them like humans with dignity and integrity. They truly were sad to see their 240 go after all these years. So really, it wasn't $5,000... I got a rebate! Still the most I ever paid for a Z... So yeah, the prices ARE rising...

All that being said...the car in the OPis a 240! And COULD be as rust-free as a comparative CA car if it was inland and didn't make it to the beach that much. Humidity near the coast can be insidious, and these cars rot inside out...with perforations in mid-panel... If the car is documented to be "inland Mobile" and didn't spend a lot of time getting flooded in the past few hurricanes (I'm not joking, GET UP UNDER THE DASH AND LOOK WITH A FLASHLIGHT!!!) then the price is not "expensive" and likely the 95% "solid" rust condition can be comparable to a CA car in similar environs of the Cantral Coast, or San Diego... Could be good, could be bad.

But compared to an inland CA car, with its life in the desert...almost ANYTHING is "rusty" by comparison.

I would likely take that car if inspection panned out, play up the rust and the "undesirable 1973 Model" aspects and try to get it closer to $4,500-5,000. The value and selling prices for 240's is indeed up, but the economy is still down...and pricing should reflect that!

I did the same thing earlier this year. I'm only on my 4th Z-car but it was the most expensive one yet - $5k for an early 260Z roller that was almost finished but not quite. Came with literally a ton of great parts. Ok, I didn't weigh them all but I wouldn't be surprised. After adding it up, it was a fantastic deal. No way I could've gotten that car to where it is with anything near $5k.

Hell, for that matter...if the OP wants a 76 280 with factory air...bring a trailer and $2,500! Plenty of overhead to repair/modify/register/transport under the $6,900 asking price. Heck, I might even go back to the US to broker it!

LOL

My god, I was wondering when I'd hear this. I need to make a trip to Tony's yard, ASAP!!!