HybridZ

vinegar therapy - rust removal inside coolant passages

PapaSmurf

Curious,  how much urine will be needed for one of those???

About half a keg should do it. However due to increasing inaccuracy as inebriation increases, you had best order two kegs and park your car out of sight of the street so you don't cop a public indecency charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the freeze plugs and found large rust "flowers" after the vinegar :( so I chisseled and scraped them all out and took it to the machinist to deck the block. He put it in the wash machine which is basically an actuated pressure washer and that got most of the remainder out but I can still stick a finger in and brush out rust. Oh well it will flow now at least I'll just have to change the coolant a few times during break in.

Freshly machined parts are so sexypost-1143-0-25009200-1370632289_thumb.jpg

This is why you always use the proper mixture of coolant I think someone filled it with saltwater and it sat in the yard for 20 years rotting. Sooo much rust.

*edit and paint

post-1143-0-63110600-1370642054_thumb.jpg

Edited by PapaSmurf

• 9 months later...

Would this vinegar method be suitable to use in  a block thats installed?   

my head is getting resurfaced and Im wanting to avoid taking out the block.   The water jackets and passages are a nasty orange color.  I've taped off the coolant ports on the deck and ran hot water through and out to the waterpump inlet where it drains out to a bin.  

My only worry would be not being able to flush all of the vinegar out.  

Any input?  Thanks

Edited by SDgoods

Commercial Flushing compounds exist with proper passivating agents. Why people insist on home remedies is beyond my comprehension. 

Vinegar is a weak acid. Nothing more. You could buy pool acid (muriatic acid) and fill the block and passivate it with a caustic soda flush. If the head is off, you're kinda screwed as anything you put in the block to clean it GOOD will eat up the head faster than the block. The vinegar will eat your head just the same...

I mean, you're talking a week of soaking...or more. Pfft!

Edited by Tony D

Ive concluded that it will be VERY difficult to get everything out of the block, whatever it may be.  Ive continued to 'flush' it out with water from the large opening on the rear of the block, and pushing out through the water pump inlet hole on the block. 

At first dirty water actually came out,  but at this point,  clean water comes out, and the water from the point of entry looks murky.  After sitting, the water looks clean, which means its just sinking to the bottom of the block and not getting flushed out.

Any ideas???

Caustic Tank Hot Dip...

For all the work youve gone through, you could have pulled the crank and pistons and been done with it by now.

And had ARP Rod bolts that won't break and ventilate your vinegar block at #5 when you rev it hard the first time out for a drive...

Edited by Tony D

I think you missed the point---with all this time, you could have removed the block, stripped it, properly caustic dipped it, and reassembled it without ANY reservation about what was inside, outside, or left over!

I think you missed the point---with all this time, you could have removed the block, stripped it, properly caustic dipped it, and reassembled it without ANY reservation about what was inside, outside, or left over!

Could have, but didnt, dont have the space, tools, or budget. Workin with what I got, and i didnt ask for speculation on what i could have done. Thanks for your help though

Gene Berg would say "If you don't have the money to do it right, where will you get the money to do it over?"

it's apparently not primary transportation...why rush and half-do it?

If you had the tools to get the head off, getting it out isn't a big next step.

Ill be able to afford to do it right along with the battery tray rust etc.. When i graduate in a couple years. I dont have room in my garage or a cherry picker, and the block and rotating assembly work fine for my current goals. Why tear it apart?

• 1 year later...