HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Trim

richracing

I am planning to start mass producing Carbon fiber trim pieces, and eventually larger pieces and body panels.  I'm looking for feedback on parts you guys would like to see in carbon fiber.  Also whoever volunteers to send me the oem part for me to make a mold will get the CF part for free, you'll just have to pay shipping.  Keep in mind that I am moving to Germany for a few years, so I will set up shop when I get there and start making the molds.  So how about it guys...  

I'd be 100% down. To either ship out parts (stuff I have that's good enough to mold) or buy the completed pieces, once set up.

I'm also going to school in the fall for Carbon and composite materials. So I'm looking at doing the same. (making carbon Datsun pieces)

I fully support this venture 110%

Well definitely let me know what you have to donate.  I'll msg you my current address.  My goal is to start making the molds once I get to Germany, as I don't have much time before I leave, which is sometime in July.  Don't worry about shipping cost to Germany, it's not that much for small light weight stuff.  All I ask is that people be patient at first.

+1 to the CF clamshell with integrated single gauge pod...it might make sense to make it slightly larger on the underside of the clamshell...with all the wiring in the column, and relay mods to save the headlight switch, my clamshell doesnt close completely.  Also, I would hope that you could use the same size screw...I believe the stock version used 3 different sizes!

Additional thoughts would be the panel where the map light, AC/heater control knobs go...As my car is fair weather only (and I'm sure a lot of other members are too), I dont use HVAC and wouldnt mind seeing something else as an option...I think modular would be the way to go...i.e. blanking panel within the CF panel that would be removable for those that wanted to put in 3 gauge cluster or something.

Just a couple of thoughts based on things that I've been thinking about but dont have the skills...lastly, I know budget is always on my mind...so if it were me, I would consider fiberglass options as well.

How about I offer a hybrid...  1-2 layers of carbon fiber on the outside, and 2-4 layers of fiberglass underneath.  This way you get the CF look without the CF price.  It would cost a little bit more than a fiberglass piece.  Any interest in this?

Edited by richracing