HybridZ

Modern Motorsports Ross C

• 2 weeks later...

My thought are also with you and your son and I will pray for him.  He and I discussed and came up with ideas for manufacturing stronger stub axles on the Datsun Z series vehicles.  And I have them on my vehicle now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ross was a few years younger than me I think.  I'm 46.

Ross and I struck up our friendship here, and chatted offline about a lot of things once he started actually formulating the business that would become Modern Motorsports LLC.  Ross wanted to take the control arm design I had and make it better, and I wanted out of the parts making business, so it was a natural transition for Ross to make his new business venture incorporate his idea of the perfect (and better) control arm for the masses.  We chatted about a number of things over the years, including the inner workings of this site, the state of the Datsun Zcar community, vendor support, and life in general. 

As life happens, people drift away from contact and get on with other aspects of life, and Ross and I didn't chat for a few years, until I needed stops for my CV axles and a few other small parts.  I got them within weeks of ordering without issue and Ross sent a note to make sure I got them and they were acceptable.  All his parts always were... Two months later I ordered more parts and had the same results, except this time with a call to ask me about the rear diff setup.  Ross wanted to know where I had gotten a differential mount because it wasn't his!!  We had a good laugh, and he was quick to remind me he could have supplied the part.  Ross had an eye for details like that.

Ross changed the Zcar community.  He gave us alternatives to the minimal other vendors, and his parts were designed to really stand up to the abuses some of our cars are capable of putting those parts through.

How old was Ross?  Sad to hear going that fast.

Getting older, life seems a whole lot different nowdays..  and thats OK.

Tom

I spent a lot of time with Ross on the phone talking about ideas for various products, some of which became items in his product line.  We referred customers to each others often.  I also spent a week in Florida with him and Ken Jones helping Ken setup his supercharged 280Z - some of which made into a SportZ article.  We all got hot laps on a 1/2 mile paved oval in Ken's 280Z before the track owner showed up and tossed us out because we were not driving a real race car.  He put a lot of thought into his products and was a good guy to work with.  His illness impacted his business towards the end but getting healthy is more important then a business.

• Like 1