HybridZ

Modern Car most like an S30 ?

tfreer85

Z32's are out because of the year. There are a couple of Z33's but either super high on the mileage or a salvage title.

The sky's and solstice's can be found in the price range and everything else, the biggest kicker is neither company is in business anymore which means LONG term reliability/parts availability could be a problem.

There are some NC-Miata's that in the price range, mileage is a bit over where I'm looking.  I don't know where the lack of reliability comments are coming from, they've been touted as some of the most reliable cars on the road. Gutless in comparison to the Z, yeah more than likely unless I find a Mazdaspeed version.

Thanks again!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon ~ Have you sat in the MX-5 / NC chassis miata? In the older NA miata I feel slightly cramped, the NB is really nice to me, and the NC I have to sit 2 or 3 clicks forward from the back on the seat, it's really that much roomier than the older ones.

The handling on the NC is definitely not the same as the older ones, but it's still far better than SO many cars out there.

I'd forgotten about the sky/solstice! I'm not fond of the solstice front end that all the magazine journalists seemed to love so much, but I though the sky was pretty hot looking. The best part about them though, imo, is that there was a company with a LS1 swap kit before most dealers had their first cars! 

And don't be scared to buy one because of the brand name being gone. GM has been very clear about supporting these cars, and they shouldn't be any less supported than any other car. You can still get parts for a Z33 can't you? But it's out of production... You can still get parts for a Z32 can't you? But it's out of production.... You can still get parts for a Z31 can't you? But it's out of production... That's my point, those companies are just small little monikers of a much larger company. GM closed those branches because they were needing to downsize to keep their budgets at least somewhat realistic. That doesn't mean the companies making the parts are out of business... Most parts in those cars were generic GM parts anyhow... 

That'y my 2 cents on the pontiac/saturn thing.

If you fit in the NB miata, it's certainly a perfectly good car that should be well under budget, new enough, and a great platform. You won't have to give up on having fun and CHOOSING to work on your car and improve it like the S30, whereas many of the cars that have been brought up are either hard to modify, or get quite expensive to improve.

They did change the model name in the US in 2006. It was Miata before in the states and MX-5 everywhere else. Now it is MX-5 everywhere. Look at an NC and you won't see "Miata" on it anywhere. It's just an easier way to differentiate for people who aren't familiar with NA, NB, and NC.

Strange, looks like Mazda still calls it an MX-5 "Miata" to me. The NA, NB, NC designations make more sense, and are similar to the Z actually (S30=240Z/260Z/280Z).

Leon ~ Have you sat in the MX-5 / NC chassis miata? In the older NA miata I feel slightly cramped, the NB is really nice to me, and the NC I have to sit 2 or 3 clicks forward from the back on the seat, it's really that much roomier than the older ones.

Yes, and strangely enough the new Miata felt even more cramped than the old one. That could be a function of the NA having old seat foam and also the fact that I haven't squeezed myself into many Miatas. I think I said earlier, I did go on an autoX ride-along in an NB and it really impressed me. Seems like a fun, toss-able, and surprisingly torquey (nicely geared) car.

I've sat in a few NC Miatas over the years and just never got comfortable in the driver's seat.

[...] whereas many of the cars that have been brought up are either hard to modify, or get quite expensive to improve.

Or... are good enough to not require improvement. :P

Edited by Leon

Z3. Idk why someone said to stay away. I drove a high mileage 2.5 unmodded and I loved it. Smooth power, small chassis, overall i am smitten with that car, despite my aversion to its appearance. This is coming from someone who has sworn against anything sold later than 1996.

BMW part prices are so high!! In comparison to some of the others on the list that is. They always say, B.M.W: Bring my wallet. ha.

With that being said though, the Z3 coupe is one heck of a performer. Too bad they are rare and pricey.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

I'll add to the consensus of E36 M3 and Miata, if you can extend your year-range to pre-2000.  The M3 is a pleasant coupe/sedan to drive, balancing cabin comfort with driver connectedness.  As others have said, these cars are aging and most of the ones available for sale haven't exactly been pampered.  The Miata, meanwhile, is very much in the S30 spirit, especially if you get the hardtop, which improves head-room.  My problem in terms of fitment in the Miata is shoulder room.  There's nowhere to put my left shoulder in the NA Miata... I have to contort my torso, driving hunched or askance, or just stick my left arm out the window.