HybridZ

What am I going to get myself into?

I want to do a LS1 engine swap from a camaro to a 240z so I'm seeking HELP. I've looked at other peoples builds and learned a good bit and just want to make sure I fully understand.

1. What all do I scrap from the camaro besides engine, trans, and wire harness

2. Where should I get my mounting kits

3. What all needs to be done to get the car into a running driving state

Thats all I have for now

Read, read, read. Figure out what you want and get very specific. For instance, what year of each vehicle? Then post that specific info up on multiple forums asking, is this the best way to go? A big question to ask is what do you want to end up with? Something you can do a track day? Drags? Or just show and street? I don't know what an LS1 has but aluminum heads are desirable for anything where you want good handling.

Plan a budget and put that out there also, asking if it's realistic. Add up all the costs you can figure, then add at least 25% miscellaneous. During the build keep a running total. Costs can get way out of hand if you're not keeping track. After a ton of work you can end up with something you can't justify keeping cuz you've got too much money tied up in it.

A minimum of a month of planning before you buy the first part can save you time and money in the long run.

Johns Cars mount kit seems like the one everybody is using.  I'm going to fab my own up, since I plan to weld the platform for the biscuit mounts to sit on, and I want to optimally position the motor with those long tube 1 3/4 group buy headers and the Tilton Belhousing/5.5 clutch kit when I'm ready to do it.

As for getting rid of the donor car, it should be the LAST thing you do after you start your Zcar and drive it.

Mike

I want a street car that can put newer sports cars to shame but my biggest fear is the wiring harness really anything wire related I'm completely lost in that field... Does anyone know of a write up on this?? That is really my biggest issue

As for wiring harness , you can go with aftermarket standalone but it's kinda pricey . The cheapest i've found is $500 . If you get a donor and reusing factory harness then you need to get " How to swap GM LS-series engine " book . There's a section that has detail on how to rework OE harness . And they are threads online that has detail on how-to . If you have the money then standalone will save you the headache .

As for PCM , i got my from Ebay for $125 with all unnecessary stuff deleted . You have to get anti-theft deleted . I got all emissions and codes related to them deleted .

Edited by Domzs

I used chevythunder for my harness and computer and it was $510 I believe for my setup. Real good to deal with and fast. All wires have tabs labeled where everything goes and a cd for the computer with directions and troubleshooting info. My harness needed ls1 parts and truck parts and he custom tailored the wiring harness and computer to my needs and I didn't supply anything but info for measurements. Took like 2-3 weeks shipped to me.

I'm no electrical engineer so I didn't wanna fool with messing up my wiring either (most say it's easy though!). I almost went old school gen I motor over the wiring issue. (I'm a civil engineer lol)

Edited by EastTnZ

As for PCM , i got my from Ebay for $125 with all unnecessary stuff deleted . You have to get anti-theft deleted . I got all emissions and codes related to them deleted .

What is the un necessary stuff and thank you for referring me to the book I ordered it hopefull it'll be here soon.

Depends on what year donor car you are getting . You don't need any emission systems ( check your local or state laws ) for your Z , it's too old . My state , TX , has emmision exempt on cars that are 25 yrs or older . Emission systems like EVAP , catalytic converters , EGR , and secondary air injection . You can get the tuner to delete those systems and codes related to them . And anti-theft system must be removed from the ECM so you can start your motor .