HybridZ

What am I going to get myself into?

You can check your area for tuners . I got my off Ebay for $125 shipped . That's a good used ECM with my choice of deletions , electric fan on/off temp. , recalibration on VSS ( i provided tire size and gear ratio ) . Think this the cheapest way to go and i still have a spare ECM from the donor .

Honestly, buy HPTuners and be done with it.  You can then turn off VATS yourself, adjust your temperature settings for your fans, adjust your idle (this is just basic stuff), and if so inclined even tune your car.  Its a few hundred more than sending your PCM out, but the flexibility it offers  you is priceless.  I forgot to add that you can also read and reset codes with HPTuners which is VERY helpful if your car starts running like crap.

Lastly, there are many other places with MORE information about swapping in an LS1 than Hybridz.  LS1tech has more information on LS1 swaps than Hybridz and all other websites combined.  They will have everything you need to complete the swap (wiring diagrams, pin outs, trouble shooting, etc.).

Edited by ktm

HPTuners is great tool to have but it doesn't  justify the cost , around $700 plus credits , if you are doing a stock swap . It's on my wish list since i'm going to do my 91 300ZX soon and building a 6.0 turbo for my 83 280ZXT . Does anyone here have any experience with HPTuners ? A little confused about the credit system .

Domzs, it is not $700 plus credits.  I have no idea where you got that pricing from.  I paid $450  (maybe $499, can't remember) for mine from HPTuners 2 years ago and it includes enough credits for 3 engines.

Here is the link for the standard HPTuners which is all you need: http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

Edited by ktm

Domzs, it is not $700 plus credits.  I have no idea where you got that pricing from.  I paid $450  (maybe $499, can't remember) for mine from HPTuners 2 years ago and it includes enough credits for 3 engines.

Here is the link for the standard HPTuners which is all you need: http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

I have seen $699 at Summit Racing for the tuner package and the $499 is the basic package with no tuning capability , last time i checked .

Follow my link to HPTuners website and read about the standard package.  The $499 standard setup is all you'll need.

Just looked at it . Thanks . Probably go with the professional package , would hurt to have a little extra for later . Prices have come down a little . Thanks again .

Here in NC If your vehicle is at least 35 years old, it doesn't have to undergo safety or emission inspections.

I'll check out lt1swap.com also where would I send the pcm to?

You were correct before about the wiring.  This is the most difficult task of the conversion.  This being the case, recommend that the conversion be kept simple and use a Generation 1 Small Block Chevrolet engine with a carb.  Start from the bottom up with a Summit Racing bare SBC block already machined.  Once EFI is involved, things get much more complex.  Need to know what year and model Datsun you are converting.  I am presently in the process of completely rewiring a 1971 240Z with a 20 circuit harness from EZwiring.  I have Electromotive EFI and harness for same on a 383 stroked SBC.  Incorporated many relays to handle the heavy current loads in the electrical system.

If you are in any way serious about rewiring, I recommend that you purchase the following tools IMMEDIATELY from Ebay:

Item number:251095090154
Item number:400441203422
Item number:151045133190
Item number:271200073580

You were correct before about the wiring.  This is the most difficult task of the conversion.  This being the case, recommend that the conversion be kept simple and use a Generation 1 Small Block Chevrolet engine with a carb.  Start from the bottom up with a Summit Racing bare SBC block already machined.  Once EFI is involved, things get much more complex.  Need to know what year and model Datsun you are converting.  I am presently in the process of completely rewiring a 1971 240Z with a 20 circuit harness from EZwiring.  I have Electromotive EFI and harness for same on a 383 stroked SBC.  Incorporated many relays to handle the heavy current loads in the electrical system.

I am completely rewiring my 240 with a painintheass/painless wiring system.  I sometimes wonder why and the heck do I get myself into these jobs!

I am completely rewiring my 240 with a painintheass/painless wiring system.  I sometimes wonder why and the heck do I get myself into these jobs!

It would be GREAT if someone came up with modular retrofit harnesses.  Wherein options in configuration and supply of compatible components would be supplied based on a questions posed to the customer performing the rewiring.  I eliminated the headlight/Wiper stalk on the right side of the steering wheel.  Purchased Painless wiring headlight and wiper switches to replace that stalk.  Incorporated 10 relays for EFI, hazard lights, 2 speed radiator fan, high/low beam headlight switching and accessory buss switching all in and on one box.  Still not done but not in a big hurry.