HybridZ

why you no turn off!???

bthomp

So I just installed a speedhut gps speedo and everything went great. That is until I tried to turn the car off once it was started. For some reason, the car simply wont turn off now the new gauge is installed without me pulling the power to MS directly. I hooked up the white wires to one of the old illumination light wires, the ground to ground of the rheostat. Left and right turn signals up to old left and right turn signal lights. And 12v to a direct line from the battery(with inline fuse). High beam I left unhooked until I could figure out what wire was the switch for it since the light in the gauge always has 12v going to it. Has anyone heard of this or might have an idea what might be causing it?

Oh before this the car worked normal and other than the key not turning anything off, still works normal

I'm not sure about GPS speedo wiring lay out but my reg. Speedhut speedo gets 12v. ( red wire ) with KEY ON POWER . Check your wiring diag. to see if says keyed ignition power . And my ground is to ground not ground of the rheostat . You can hook up the hi beam wire , the ind. does the opposite ( on w/ lo beam and off w/ hi beam ) . Good luck

Always list the make, model and year of the car including modifications when asking for help.

Unwire the speedo.

With the speedo unwired, does the car start and turn off normally?

Sounds like the way you wired it is causing a back-feed to the ignition. Unwire what you did and start over and check each wire you tap into for power with a volt meter with the key set in different modes: off, on, acc. etc.

Edited by Miles

Car is a 78 280z. I ripped out all the connections with the new speedo and the car still would not shut off but the key was reading 0 and 12v at where I have my switched power spliced in for MS when I turned the key to the off position. Today I pulled out the whole dash and started testing the wires individually. Everything was fine including the wire I have switched power for while I turned the key. Only things not hooked up were MS and the assortment( fuel pump, injectors, O2, ect.). My wires are too short to reach the fuse block and MS. I have the little amp box thing (68600 AJ5000) that was wired into the odometer removed, but I can't see why that would be causing the engine to not shut off once running because it isn't completing any circuit.