HybridZ

260Z transmission in 240Z trouble

burninator

My 240's transmission blew up and I scored a 260Z transmission to replace it. I didn't think there would be an issue, so I just started installing it. Thew the transmission on the engine using my old clutch which was still good. However I realized that the clutch slave cylinder would need to be replaced so I picked one up. I'm having trouble installing it though. I can't get it to compress enough to fit.

I thought there was a chance the clutch was different, but O'reilly lists the same clutch for both.

Any ideas?

The collar needs to match the pressure plate.  May be that you should have used the one from the old 240Z transmission.  The 260Z collar might be too tall.  See if the old 240Z collar is a short one.

That's one possibility.  Did you try installing the old slave cylinder to confirm it's not a cylinder problem?  That would narrow things down.

So if the clutches are different why does O'Reilly list the same one for both cars?

Can't try the old slave cylinder, the push rod (or whatever you call it) is different and much longer (designed to go through a hole in the shift fork).

Anyways, I measured the one from my old transmission and I think it's the short one. It's about .75" from where the shift fork rests on it to the back side of the bearing. A quick search shows the the 260Z would have a very slightly longer one.

You could be right on. I'm not stoked about having to take the transmission back out. What a pain! I'm not sure I can lift the car high enough to take it out under neath, and to take the engine/ tranny out together through the top, not to mention putting it all back again, sucks. I just got the thing back in this morning :(

So if the clutches are different why does O'Reilly list the same one for both cars?

Nissan changed the clutch design at least couple of times. The latest design is backwards compatible. Manufacturers don't want to make and stock different parts if they don't have to.

Nigel

You're not the first to get caught, if that's the issue.  If you're only changing the collar, you won't have to slide the transmission out from underneath, only drop it down in the tunnel and swap collars while under the car. 

I ran a new/old transmission for about ten days once, watching a 3-4 drops of fluid drip on to the garage floor every day after driving (from the fork pivot pin threads), before swapping it for a different new/old unit.  The good thing is that the procedure is fresh in mind, and you know where all of the tools are.