HybridZ

Wilwood emergency/parking brake brackets

05plsrt4

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word of caution.  Has this assembly been re-installed into the car and driven?  I made a similar assembly a few years ago (although it wasn't nearly this nice) using a Maxima caliper.  The problem that I had was that both the cable and the caliper interfered with the floor pan of the car on bumps.  I notched some, but it wasn't enough-the caliper still struck the bottom of the floorpan on some of the bumps at autocross.  I recommend that the strut assembly and brake be installed in the car and run thru its full anticipated travel range before we all jump on the bandwagon.  There appears to be plenty of room above the wheel when the suspension is hanging in full droop, but things get crowded really quick when the car is at ride-height, even more so when lowered and put into a bump.  All will be well IF the assembly is narrow enough to clear the floor pan.

I never bothered to make any more of these. When I first put them on here a lot of people showed interested, then after me spending time with the machinist, ironing out all the little problems, making my final prototype (which is installed on my car now)  no one wanted them anymore.

For me to do 3 sets, I'd loose money. 5 sets, break even maybe. So I don't see it as being worth the time/money I have invested. I got my set and that was all I was after.

Thanks to everyone who showed interest though.

Sorry to hear that these will not be available. I was excited to see that Wilwood had finally produced a good quality Handbrake-only caliper - I wish it was available when i developed my kit !. So, seeing as 05plsrt4 wont be producing anymore, I will definately be engineering a new set of brackets for my AZC setup. This will only start to happen though in a couple of months time as I have other projects/commitmenst on the go at the moment, but i look forward to getting the ball rolling and I will definaetly make the brackets available - after all, for me its not about making profit, its about sharing the knowledge.....

Yes, it's me again. Please, no hurry on my account.... Once you're ready to make a list, put me down for a pair of backing plates.

Thanks again,

joel

Joel,

No probs.....I certainly wasnt getting on with of it because of your coment, rather I did a search and found a set at a good price, and thought id take the opportunity to snap them up. Im heading overseas next week, so if they arrive before then, I can take one of them with me - I am already taking my laptop, so this will mean I could model up the new caliper accurately, which in turn will mean that I could model up/design the new bracket....

Hopefully I can utilize the handbrake cable that I got made up with my previous kits !

Hope youre well mate !

Woza

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey !....

No update im afraid...I have made a start, and done some of the 3D modelling, however I am very Time-Poor at the moment due to work commitments and other stuff. It will get done, but i cant give any guarantees on exactly when....An estimate is that it will be at least another month before I can get back into the engineering & design....

Sorry its not better news.....But hey...good things are work waiting for !

Woza

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Im currently finalising my design for my Brackets to incorporate the MC4 Calipers into the AZC rear Kit.

A few more bits and pieces to do, then i will be getting a test set cut and machined.

Here are a couple imaged from my 3D Design model.... I have a 3D PDF that i can email anyone that is interested too...cant seem to upload it here.

Wilwood%20MC4%20Handbrake%20-%20Datsun%2

Wilwood%20MC4%20Handbrake%20-%20Datsun%2

Hey Woza01, Any chance you could include a version for those of us 5 lug guy's ??

Correct me if Im wrong.....but its only the 'hat' on the rotor that has the 5 lug holes ?....if so, then nothing else on my design needs to be changed

Your absolutely correct and I am an idiot for not catching that before asking. My 5 lug conversion kit is still sitting all nicely wrapped up in the boxes they were shipped in from AZC.

"The front kit includes ALUMINUM FRONT HUBS with wheel bearings and seals, the rear rotor centers (hats) are also the 4-lug to 5-lug adapter."

http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html

Woza01,  I still have no rear emergency brake, all this time after buying your first kit. It was a great kit with all new cables etc. but I never ended up installing it so I sold it to a HZ member who needed it then.

I really like what you are doing this time and would like to get in on a kit if possible ...

Woza01,  I still have no rear emergency brake, all this time after buying your first kit. It was a great kit with all new cables etc. but I never ended up installing it so I sold it to a HZ member who needed it then.

I really like what you are doing this time and would like to get in on a kit if possible ...

Gday Joel ( thats right isnt it ?)

Great to hear from you.

Mate sure thing....but I I learned a lot of lessons from last time i designed and built my first kit...I kept a lot of people hanging and waiting due to supply issues etc....so this time I will be waiting till I'm 100% sure everything is ready to go before offering the kits up for sale....

Watch this space mate....

Woza

Gday Joel ( thats right isnt it ?)

Great to hear from you.

Mate sure thing....but I I learned a lot of lessons from last time i designed and built my first kit...I kept a lot of people hanging and waiting due to supply issues etc....so this time I will be waiting till I'm 100% sure everything is ready to go before offering the kits up for sale....

Watch this space mate....

Woza

Will do my friend ....