HybridZ

RB25 flywheel to L series Question

col

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont know why you would want to , there is 4 brands off L flywheels hear with any size clutch you want , and there the same price as a RB one , just use the right part and you dont need to mod any part , or play with throw of the clutch  ,

makes no sence to me sorry ,

Because those options here are more expensive than modifying the RB flywheel that I seem to have like 6 of laying around. Ive thought of it a couple of times but never really went farther than checking the alignment ring. I have a few KA and other Nissan flywheels around here as well...

Cost. It is actually cheaper to buy a 14lb chrome-moly forged steel flywheel, than it is to get the purpose-built aluminum L-series flywheel. I don't care for aluminum flywheels, I'd rather have steel, so that's the route I went.

Also, the RB25DET flywheels are drilled for the 240mm clutch cover, but many don't have the groove machined in the face where the disk fits, so the 250mm heavier pressure plate 350Z clutch will fit.

The larger disk diameter is not ideal, but the much increased torque (400ft-lbs+) for the *very* minimal (barely noticable) increase in pedal effort is nice in a daily-driven car that is expected to make 325+ft-lbs, and at times may have a slim-legged driver.

Fidanza 11lb aluminum flywheel + 400ft-lb clutch = around 650$

14lb forged steel RB flywheel + LuK stock replacement 350Z clutch = 294$ + an hour to machine a shim.

Thats interesting news on the 350Z clutch... arnt those dual mass flywheels and self adjusting pressure plates? I have pictures of a 2006 I did not long ago. I will have to inspect them and see what I see. I do remember doing a 3 series BMW at the same time which is messing me up because that has both those options on that car for sure...just muddying my memory up.

Edited by rayaapp2

Xnke, What through out bearing did you use?

Looks like the one I have from a ca20 should work.

There is probably other great options out there, most are expensive and I haven't found any good cheaper options. I know some say cheap is never good. My options were over $400.00 for a custom clutch of $165 for a 6 puck ceramic that will hold an RB30.

Got the rings back from the shop , should be fitted up in the next few days, fingers crossed.

The "stock replacement" clutch for the 350Z is the sprung-hub replacement part, since the dual-mass flywheel can't be machined. Either you spend over 1200$ on a new Nissan flywheel+clutch, or you get the Exedy/LuK replacment for the also-available solid flywheel. It's a 250mm disk, 1800kg pressure plate, and the pivot points are moved so that it feels like a stock plate would at 680kg of pressure...very similar to a stock turbo clutch.

I may need to adjust the pivot, the pressure plate fingers are closer to the gearbox than standard.

I measured everything up and should have 3.5mm clearance, with the thrust pushed all the way back.

That was done to see if I thought it was possible.

The clutch was just sitting on the flywheel though , so I'll get a bit more when it's clamping on the clutch disc.

I intend to re-measure when the clutch is in and adjust the pivot accordingly. Looking good so far.

post-26847-0-60561400-1369391235_thumb.jpgpost-26847-0-00993500-1369391273_thumb.jpgWe make 6 difrent flywheels for datsun L motors from 5.5 in twin plate to 7in tripple plate setups and 2 single setups

Then theres SW motor sport he will make you any part you can dream up , he also makes gearboxs up for the L race motor  he is in NSW

Then there is jim bery in your state be can make a clutch that uses your stock flywheel , he makes a works style cluch for rally cars 

i have run them in 235hp L20 rally engines and had no problems , he builds great clutchs  ,

Edited by PMC raceengines

post-26847-0-45595400-1369397753_thumb.jpgMost flywheels are around 500 to 600  and can be made to any clutch , but we dont try sell them, we like to fit them to my builds .

We build a new one now with the timing pickup in them, there a real nice thing , but SW in nsw and jim also sell them and there made very well 

Edited by PMC raceengines

I would love to  be using your stuff PMC , But My cars are " Budget Fun" . I just don't have the bank ballance to spend $30.000.00 on a motor , Plus gearbox to suit etc etc. Your stuff is beautiful, just out of my league.

Just out of interest What class racing in Australia lets you change everything but the block? Anything I looked into so far has to keep the same number of valves and more, quite restrictive.

The reason for using the RB flywheel is more to get an inexpensive lightweight flywheel, plus a clutch that can comfortably hold a decent amount of torque over stock. It's not because it's really the best way to do it. Also, the larger disk lets you get that extra holding power without sacrificing clutch life...instead you sacrifice shift speed, so your synchros need to be very well setup!

If I had 1200$ to drop on a flywheel and clutch, I would be using a 12lb billet steel flywheel custom made for the L locally (there is a guy here who does custom flywheels) and probably a small diameter double-disk unit...

The clutch I get this way for $210.00 is at least as good as a $400.00 custom one.

Flywheel free , Holfords 6 puck 240mm $165.00 and $45.00 for the rings, I got 3 done nearly the same price.

Edited by col

• 2 weeks later...

I recently fit a L28 flywheel on my RB20 because I could not for the life of me find a RB20/25 flywheel and the KA24 flywheel was not an option since it was only 225mm. I went with a 2+2 reman'd S130 flywheel with the 240mm face. (Mines came with a 250mm face lucky i guess?), it looks the same.

I do not see WHY the crank would be longer. I would imagine it's the same seeing as the L series is the father of the RB (and S20 is the father of the L, nissan has a long history with inline 6's).

We will see once my starter arrives tomorrow. Cylinder heads exchange (nothing lines up oil/water wise), and I'd be willing to put money down the cranks can swap over too, they even have the same number of mains.

I still haven't put the box in, Had to go to hospital for back injections but will post soon.

New 2 z, I'm surprised the flywheel fitted . The rb20 must have the smaller crank hub or the L flywheel would not have gone on. Good to know though as I searched and got the impression all the twincams and the rb30 were the same.

If anyone knows the rear crank boss dia for all the motors for sure, the info would be appreciated