HybridZ

VQ30DET swap in 240z

docaam

Ok guys some update half good and half not that good

Hooked up the adaptronic ECU, installed the basemap sent by Adaptronic people and tried to start the car there was some error coming with crank sensor then needed to change the plugs  worked the way around it and boom it started.

Engine was making weird noise and very rough idle because of the basemap, checked the oil was thick and dirty though was new changed it again same, seems like oil is not getting picked up, one mechanic said maybe something wrong with crank and other is saying seems like oil pump is not working, one or the other will know final answer today will check opening the crank case

For wiring its almost done happy with the result removed all stock body wires, and installed the dashboard as well

Rob took some pics for you not sure if you can make out what you wanted to see?

post-13922-0-99932900-1382955678_thumb.jpgpost-13922-0-10729900-1382955682_thumb.jpgpost-13922-0-64222800-1382955684_thumb.jpgpost-13922-0-71360300-1382955687_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Docaam,

Thanks for the update, you are right some good and some not so good, I hope things are only small problems.

I will be interested to see what it is.

You certainly have been busy and your dash looks great!

Thanks for posting the pics, I think I can work it out from those.

I have had some wins this weekend, I found that at some point I had printed off an english version of the engine wiring that also tells wire colours, and that I had bought the wrong AFM, I bought a y33 AFM with a pink label and three pin plug but the HY34 VQ30det which is what we have has an AFM with a four pin plug.

Anyway let us know how you get on.

Rob

Hi Docaam,

Thanks for the update, you are right some good and some not so good, I hope things are only small problems.

I will be interested to see what it is.

You certainly have been busy and your dash looks great!

Thanks for posting the pics, I think I can work it out from those.

I have had some wins this weekend, I found that at some point I had printed off an english version of the engine wiring that also tells wire colours, and that I had bought the wrong AFM, I bought a y33 AFM with a pink label and three pin plug but the HY34 VQ30det which is what we have has an AFM with a four pin plug.

Anyway let us know how you get on.

Rob

Ok guys its confirm pump gave away, dropping the engine today to change it then

Anyone has any idea if VQ35De(Revup) oil pump will fit VQ30 as among 35s thats the best pump

Hey Docaam,  Yeah, if that Crank sensor was bad then on your stock electronics, you would not get any spark. I really should have mentioned that, it slipped my mind. A Consult reading would have picked it up quickly.    It's a shame you already went ahead with the aftermarket EMS, only to find that CPS was bad.  I bet if you put it back together with the stock ECU that it would fire right up.  You wouldn't have to worry about the tune much that way either. 

It's too bad about the oil pump, but really with how dirty the inside of the valve covers were, it's not that surprising that the pump was bad. You said people don't change their oil since the cars don't last so long out there. that's a real shame.  I wonder too, how much crud is in the oil passages. When you get it running you might consider pulling the valve covers to verify oil flow over the cams. (yes it's messy, but it's cheaper than replacing cams)  

For the Revup Oil pump: The http://www.turbo-toys.com/ guys should have one they could ship out to you pretty cheap and quickly, unless you wanted to buy one from the dealer.

Hey Docaam,  Yeah, if that Crank sensor was bad then on your stock electronics, you would not get any spark. I really should have mentioned that, it slipped my mind. A Consult reading would have picked it up quickly.    It's a shame you already went ahead with the aftermarket EMS, only to find that CPS was bad.  I bet if you put it back together with the stock ECU that it would fire right up.  You wouldn't have to worry about the tune much that way either. 

It's too bad about the oil pump, but really with how dirty the inside of the valve covers were, it's not that surprising that the pump was bad. You said people don't change their oil since the cars don't last so long out there. that's a real shame.  I wonder too, how much crud is in the oil passages. When you get it running you might consider pulling the valve covers to verify oil flow over the cams. (yes it's messy, but it's cheaper than replacing cams)  

For the Revup Oil pump: The http://www.turbo-toys.com/ guys should have one they could ship out to you pretty cheap and quickly, unless you wanted to buy one from the dealer.

Crank sensor wasnt that bad just some setting and ECU change was a must because of NATS, changed oil and plugs engine ran fine, but then after a minute of two again stop picking, checked the pump it was ok, so the guy suggested maybe some lines are clogged inside when I told him how much sludge was there inside. 

So now engine is out and they opened it up its filthy from inside, so I asked them to open head and block and clean it all out

No such a good news rings and pistons needed to be changed block is not that good.

I went to junkyard but found only one VQ30DET and condition was so so and guy was asking slightly higher price then found same rwd VQ30 but without turbo was clean crank rotating and dirt cheap :)

EA334951-5478-4BFD-870B-447E64C66FAB-469

489452CE-66E1-4B3E-8F11-FAC6DE10A318-469

I thought its VQ30DE but after looking at net seems more like VQ30DD comes 260hp

Now there is some confusion either to replace block with this one compression might go up to 10 but people said I should be ok running upto 7-8psi boost. Other option is to install as is NA and maybe work out ITBs off vq35de kit later on.

Its a confusing stage as I did all the piping and intercooler so that might go wasted or just try running it on turbo? Any suggestions?

Hmm, No fun about the engine being no good. Are parts hard to find to rebuild that engine? Rings and pistons aren't too hard to replace, but if they're bad then the bearings are probably bad too and need to be replaced.  It can be done, but it's not so cheap.  In Dubai, I don't know...  

If I was you, I'd go ahead and turbo the vq30dd and just run low boost.  The tune will be very important at that point to prevent detonation.   That or just run it as NA and rebuild the VQ30DET when you get time and $. your intercooler will work fine with an NA, it just won't make much difference. 

Why worry about ITB's?  That would be a lot of work for very little gain.

Wow not good news..... I would find out what the cost is for the rebuild parts and then compare to cost of other motors, you will be better off with VQ30det in the end so you don't want to go trying another engine and it not be the performance you wanted.

Just my opinion, I know you have put a lot into this swap and it is about overcoming problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, No fun about the engine being no good. Are parts hard to find to rebuild that engine? Rings and pistons aren't too hard to replace, but if they're bad then the bearings are probably bad too and need to be replaced.  It can be done, but it's not so cheap.  In Dubai, I don't know...  

If I was you, I'd go ahead and turbo the vq30dd and just run low boost.  The tune will be very important at that point to prevent detonation.   That or just run it as NA and rebuild the VQ30DET when you get time and $. your intercooler will work fine with an NA, it just won't make much difference. 

Why worry about ITB's?  That would be a lot of work for very little gain.

Parts not easy to get man, coming it to ITBs it sounds way to sick lol, but will stick to Turbo for now.

Wow not good news..... I would find out what the cost is for the rebuild parts and then compare to cost of other motors, you will be better off with VQ30det in the end so you don't want to go trying another engine and it not be the performance you wanted.

Just my opinion, I know you have put a lot into this swap and it is about overcoming problems.

Cost of building is variable as need low compression pistons (800$-900$) along with rings and other bits plus waiting time on it and shipping from USA to Dubai works out total 1700$-2000$, so dropped it as comlpete engines are sold here for 300-400$ so will just swap the block for now and leave rebuilding it for now.

I have sent the old head for some machine work, coming back today and will swap the block with the new engine, As said earlier I know compression might be a bit off as read VQ30DD/DE are 10:1 compared to 9:1 in VQ30DET but winter is here which is the time to use the car (Nov-May) so just rushing installing it now and will run it on low boost. As per now plans will go for a tune on thursday will keep everyone posted.

Edited by docaam

Wow, that's some cost for parts from the US, though I'd imagine it'd be cheaper to have the local Nissan dealer order direct from Japan. In any case, if the engines are that much cheaper used, then keep going with that.  You don't have to replace all the pistons and such, you may just need rings and bearings. But it's hard to say what else those engines would need. The lower compression in the DET engine is to help control detonation. it can work at 10:1, but you won't be able to run much boost at that compression. The tune will then make the biggest difference.  Do you know if that compression difference is in the rods, the pistons, or the crank? Possibly some combination.  I don't think the block is different, only the internals.  Perhaps you can reuse some of the DET parts to bring down the compression on the DE block.  Though if you get into that, you're back to new bearings/rings etc since you'd have them out already.

Great!  Glad to hear it has started.  what'd you do for the Exhaust?  you Interior guy did a pretty good job on the Dash and doors.  I'm liking how they stuck with the original Design patterns. . 

what I was saying about the other engine is that you don't need all new parts, if you reconditioned the block and replaced the rings and bearings, The DET engine may still be workable.

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Glad to hear it has started. what'd you do for the Exhaust? you Interior guy did a pretty good job on the Dash and doors. I'm liking how they stuck with the original Design patterns. .

what I was saying about the other engine is that you don't need all new parts, if you reconditioned the block and replaced the rings and bearings, The DET engine may still be workable.

I just replaced the block but head went through machine work

Got it started a small clip running ok basemap only but atleast running there was some water leak from the radiator as I moved the outlet a bit.

More to come soon

Edited by docaam

• 1 month later...

Been busy with the hakosuka built but now VQ30DET Engine is running fine now  :icon10:  still on basemap though.

But there is an issue coming in some starter wiring some times it starts and sometimes there is no spark at all, need to open up the steering column I guess. Also need to make some custom bracket for AC alternator

Finally after doing all the work engine ran nicely on the basemap, Its all good till 3k rpm on this map, but im glad its running fine and holding boost as well.

Next there are some issues coming in the starter switch sometimes it starts and sometime there is no response more like loose contact. Will fix that along with AC compressor then a final tune, should be on the road sometime next month