HybridZ

VQ30DET swap in 240z

docaam

It sounds great, thanks for posting the video. Have you driven it much yet? It seems relatively quite is that right?

Congratulations on getting the first VQ30det S30 running!

Congrats!

Car sounds and looks great.

Engine sounds good running fine and yeah quiet on idle.

I tried  drive it but steering rack is giving problem started slipping then later found out that it was rusted from inside. Now opened it up and will fix that and the AC thing all together.

I will be using Nissan pathfinder steering coupler it sits way in front just behind the headlights will give enough room for AC compressor as well if works might be an excellent option for using AC with any VQ install.

Two pics one is the coupler which I got from junkyard and second when it was in the pathfinder it comes from firewall parallel to the chassis rails then turn sharp down keeping room for AC compressor I hope it works out

post-13922-0-40834600-1391497947_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-04397000-1391497951_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be using Nissan pathfinder steering coupler it sits way in front just behind the headlights will give enough room for AC compressor as well if works might be an excellent option for using AC with any VQ install.

Two pics one is the coupler which I got from junkyard and second when it was in the pathfinder it comes from firewall parallel to the chassis rails then turn sharp down keeping room for AC compressor I hope it works out

attachicon.gifIMG_6681.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6684.JPG

Nice, That actually might really make this swap a lot easier. I'd been trying to figure a way around the AC pump. and a Gear like that might be just the ticket!  Great find.  Let me know how it works for you.  I'll look around and see if there's one available locally here too.

Phar

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, That actually might really make this swap a lot easier. I'd been trying to figure a way around the AC pump. and a Gear like that might be just the ticket!  Great find.  Let me know how it works for you.  I'll look around and see if there's one available locally here too.

Phar

I installed after doing some changes but not so good news, the part it installs on the body isint that strong so its moving when you turn the steering and might come off when turned under load. I marked it in red.

post-13922-0-37559400-1393229355_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-94480600-1393229363_thumb.jpg

Need to find a way to make it work, really getting tired of this swap now hahaaa. Thinking seriously of just removing the engine and put back RB lost a lot of time. Anyone has any suggestions?

Will a 350Z CD009 will mate with RB25?

Edited by docaam

Does the steering work OK aside from the flexing of the mount?

If it does then it would be a matter of fabricating an upright bracket that is joined to the frame rail and inner guard-fender as well as a diagonal brace across to the other frame rail on the passengers side.

Rob

VQ30DET into 260Z - Nissan V6 Forum - HybridZ.htm

Does the steering work OK aside from the flexing of the mount?

If it does then it would be a matter of fabricating an upright bracket that is joined to the frame rail and inner guard-fender as well as a diagonal brace across to the other frame rail on the passengers side.

Rob

Hey Rob, Steering is working fine little bit of jerk after each round but maybe because of the flex.

For bracket I need to find a way to mount it as in the pic its a bit dirty as not finished but there is a bracket then washers and there is a plate from inside the wheel well where bolts mounts. I cant weld anything that a big problem here they dont let you register the car if there is any sort of visible weld

Ok if you can't weld it then you would have to make a removable multi aspect bracket that conects to the frame rail, it could be triangular to fit like the bracket in the picture.

The inner fender obviously doesn't give any strength but if your bracket comes up, the higher the better and is then triangulated down across to the other frame rail you would have enough strength.

The higher the triangle the stronger it will be.

If you think it will look dicky then tie it across the other way as well to look like a chassis brace that ties into other key spots like above sway bar mounts and upto strut towers.

Sort of like a cross-X brace.

Rob

Hey Docaam,

That part looks awesome.  building a new bracket for it should not be too tough.  There's a few points you could mount it to that should hold it much more firmly.  Above it there's a closed mount point already on the wall you could reopen for a mount point.  Likely you'll have to drill and put in some bolts to hold it firmly in place.  Another idea is a strap that runs fully up the side to the fender mount bolts, but that may be too far.  I'd just drill and  use a backing plate like the steering crossmember has on each side.  You'd have to make a wedge shaped adapter to make it fit properly in place. If you make it boltable on either side, they shouldn't flag the adapter. Is the law no welding on the chassis?

I hope you won't give up on this project. You've come so far!  I don't think the Nissan 6 speed will mount to any RB engines w/o an adapter plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Docaam,

That part looks awesome.  building a new bracket for it should not be too tough.  There's a few points you could mount it to that should hold it much more firmly.  Above it there's a closed mount point already on the wall you could reopen for a mount point.  Likely you'll have to drill and put in some bolts to hold it firmly in place.  Another idea is a strap that runs fully up the side to the fender mount bolts, but that may be too far.  I'd just drill and  use a backing plate like the steering crossmember has on each side.  You'd have to make a wedge shaped adapter to make it fit properly in place. If you make it boltable on either side, they shouldn't flag the adapter. Is the law no welding on the chassis?

I hope you won't give up on this project. You've come so far!  I don't think the Nissan 6 speed will mount to any RB engines w/o an adapter plate.

Part is good actually later found it toyota hilux has a similar 90 degree unit, still trying to find a way to make a bracket as space is too tight and then lots of intercooler pipes pass from there as well.

Welding is a big no no here, but as Rob suggested can do a bracket might need to remove the turbo them, lets see will try to work out something next week.

If I need to change the engine the engine with which this gearbox works is Sr20, 1UZFE and RB as well with an adapter, keeping it as last resort.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is getting Toyota AC compressor in place of power steering pump, we will start making a bracket today, this whole pathfinder thing seems to work with some braces but car cant be registered with any weld or unusual thing insdie the engine bay, will install stock one rack anbd cross member, want to just get over this thing it started boiling here again. Will update how it goes

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I've been out on vacation...   So If you're going with the Toyota AC up where the PS would be, then you should be able to go back to the standard way of mounting the steering shaft without the Pathfinder do-hicky. Sounds like it'll simplify things a bit.   What Toyota AC pump are you going to use? I wonder if it'll fit the VQ35HR in the same location?   I was thinking I might go with Toyota prius electric AC. I wouldn't have to worry about much at all that way.

Sorry I've been out on vacation...   So If you're going with the Toyota AC up where the PS would be, then you should be able to go back to the standard way of mounting the steering shaft without the Pathfinder do-hicky. Sounds like it'll simplify things a bit.   What Toyota AC pump are you going to use? I wonder if it'll fit the VQ35HR in the same location?   I was thinking I might go with Toyota prius electric AC. I wouldn't have to worry about much at all that way.

We tried Toyota corolla compressor its slightly bigger for the place then managed to find one from Suzuki Vitara and made a bracket and it fits while not touching the body. There were some issues for pulley to be aligned which guy is working on. I think it would work on VQ35DE and HR as well as compressors seems to be same

I got another cross member and stock steering rack will fit it in place of power rack and custom cross member but a bit worried if that will touch the turbo or not, seems very close to finishing yet so far.

I thought of compressor off hybrid its small and can be placed anywhere but then it wont work on 12V but would need a converter.

• 7 months later...

Ok guys car was left stranded for sometime now because of working on another project which just finished

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23340

Anyways as posted back in April did fit some Suzuki compressor brought the car back to the shop where I did pathfinder steering thing and we used the stock power steering pump with some machine work it manage to work nicely along with another additional bracket to hold the compressor, now single belt covering all.

IMG_9812-2_zps5db53ef1.jpg

IMG_9813-2_zps54168ef5.jpg

IMG_9814-2_zps89b1b5b9.jpg

IMG_9815-2_zpsa65c6c63.jpg

Coming to the steering rack used the stock (had to source another one) and with some combination of different u joints managed it nicely without touching anything. There is a rod holding bracket as well welded to the cross member, so far looks good without and with load

IMG_9816-2_zps6d11be13.jpg

IMG_9819-2_zps01c027aa.jpg

IMG_9820-2_zps5ee4654b.jpg

Now another problem area, these all fits with turbo manifold removed, now still thinking of either using normal headers and remove the turbo or do some alteration in manifold and move turbo above the cross member, as block is NA and head from a turbo engine ported and polished there is a good chance it will run fine as NA, deciding in few coming days.

Edited by docaam

• 5 months later...