HybridZ

1973 240Z Score!!!

Most of you guys should never go to a Police or Tow Yard Impound Auction, really, this stuff happens ALL the time!

I've walked away so I didn't have to watch a 73 911 with Fuchs Alloys (left rear hit) go for $1,000. Immaculate black paint, tan leather interior, and a current spec 3.2 FI engine with five speed fitted in it. Yeah, it was a hard hit, but any of the single parts on the car was worth what it sold for at impound.

The list goes on...

Having disposable income, the time to attend those auctions, and the space to put them... Is a VERY dangerous combination!

4884977800_9418f715c3_b.jpg

Does anyone here have the Arita Speed flares? Does anyone know how I would go about acquiring a set? Or the Works over fenders? 

I'm really trying to recreate this. It would take a lot of work to return the car to its original condition, so I've decided to go with a vintage race car theme for its restoration. I've found that everything but these flares are readily attainable. 

Edited by Beast

• 1 month later...

Why in the WORLD would you walk away from a guaranteed profit like that 911? I find it hard to believe that stuff goes that cheap... that's like being handed $10,000 in cash for nothing. 

Most of you guys should never go to a Police or Tow Yard Impound Auction, really, this stuff happens ALL the time!

I've walked away so I didn't have to watch a 73 911 with Fuchs Alloys (left rear hit) go for $1,000. Immaculate black paint, tan leather interior, and a current spec 3.2 FI engine with five speed fitted in it. Yeah, it was a hard hit, but any of the single parts on the car was worth what it sold for at impound.

The list goes on...

Having disposable income, the time to attend those auctions, and the space to put them... Is a VERY dangerous combination!

If you gave me the $1,000 I wouldn't have walked away.

No money, no honey. I couldn't watch the auction, BELIEVE ME I knew what it was!

And learn this: in the impound world, NOTHING is "guaranteed"!!!

Edited by Tony D

TonyD is right on about them auctions. Thats how I got my first z for 200$. I was the only bidder, not 1 other person even looked at it!!

Seriously make friends with wrecking yards!! I get calls all the time about anything that is datsun, from my friends at the local wrecker yard. Because i have the $$ in hand, i get all the first "heads up" before it makes inside the yard!! Just a little schmoozing on my part, and a little $$ :-)

I got more than one for that price!

Pick-Your=Part would stop bidding at $200, if you wanted it and had the cash, just start the bidding at $225, and usually that was it!

I got my "Blue Turd" for well under that price because it was a theft recovery that was jumped and the steering column didn't work (crash damage) -- the rack holed the oil pan. I put a strut, rack, oil pan, and K-Member onto it, along with urethane suspension bushings, and have driven it over 110,000 miles since!

You go to those auctions with a set price in your head, and you have to stick to it... I find it funny the new era of reality shows like "Storage Wars" has guys doing the same thing, and curiously saying the same things I used to say at the auctions about holidays when everybody and their uncles showed up to bid up prices...

You want PAIN? 

At the SAME auction I stopped bidding at $400 because that was  my limit on the following vehicles:

1963 Chevy II Station Wagon with inline six, three speed column shift, radio delete, desert paint, COMPLETE save missing the trim bezels around the headlights. I saw it repainted white with rally wheels. It was bid to $425 by Juan from 'Memory Lane' the classic car junkyard. Impounded for Parked on Street 72 Hours. I still lament not going to $800 on that car...but I was there for a pickup truck and that damn thing just showed up....I HAD to try!

1965 Corvair Corsa 140 Convertible with a seized engine. COMPLETE and weathered... Went for $425 to Juan from Memory Lane. Impounded for Parked on Street 72 hours.

1973 Datsun Pickup, with Cap, and a NEW ATK REBUILT L18 in it... Went for $425 to someone who wanted it more than me. Impounded for Parked on Street 72 hours.

1972 Datsun 510, with Roll Cage, HRE 15" Wheels, Sparco Seats, 13B Conversion with 48IDA Weber... Went for $1525 to Luis who worked at the Impound Yard, who was bidding against me which I didn't know and yelled at him "LUIS DAMNIT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU WANTED IT AND I WOULD HAVE STOPPED BIDDING EARLIER YOU DUMB SH*T!" Impounded for STREET RACING, NO LICENSE, NO INSURANCE (HAD registration!!!)

I ended up the day walking out of there with a $100 1980 280ZX 2+2 which RAN BEAUTIFULLY but looked like crap. It's engine had all the auxiliaries replaced new starter, new water pump, new distributor, new sensors and AFM...guy couldn't get Smog (buttsplice hell on the harness up front!!!) The Engine and Transmission went into my 76 Fairlady and dynoed at 147 to the rear wheels with stock 176,000 mile JECS EFI on it. The Six Spoke Wheels went on that car as well... AND with a $325 1980 Chevy Luv Automatic, which I used in the yard for two years cleaning up. I put a head gasket on it with a 0.003" shim on a block channeling area. After I was done with it, I sold it to a guy from San Berdoo for $400 on condition that I KEPT the brand new battery in it. There was a 1980 Coupe that the impound yard BEGGED me to take for another $100 as it was a 'no bid' and they were stuck storing it another week....I didn't need it! Not a ZX!

The next week, I bought a 1966 Toyota Corona with Automatic and 3RC engine for $125. VERY complete car, cost me more to register it legally than it did to buy it. After years of sitting in my back yard, and getting visions of a VG30ET in there as a Mini-Funnycar.... I donated it to the Toyota Museum. When you go see the Off-Blue Corona in their collection, or out on display as coming from their Heritage Collection, you know who gave it to them! Yes, the car was that complete. They restored it, of course...but what I got for $125 (like my Blue Turd) was amazing.

You see gents and ladies... the reason I have a travel job is to keep me from those damned auto auctions. Like zex, when a Datsun came in the yard I got the call. In some cases, I didn't even have to show, Luis would bid for me and they would take it on the house account and I could give them the money once I knew it was a done deal (like when I had to be at work on Friday...damn it!)

Now in LA at least the OPG's are online, and you can see what's up for auction ahead of time. Saves driving an hour to see what shows up.

Oh, the things that yard had.... You think the PORSCHE was bad? How about it being 1996 and a 1990 Z32 showing up with the heads torn apart, and a full set of HKS Racing Cams in the deck, impounded for Parked on the Street 72 Hours. That car was hooked and bailed FIVE TIMES by the owner (it was cheaper than paying impound fees, so yes, that means less than $1000!) Finally someone bought it and did something with it.

1973 Big Block Corvette with 4 Speed.... $2,225.... Beat, but all there...

I watched a Metallic Blue 1974 Camaro Berlinetta in PRISTINE condition (the car had the keys and the doors were locked so the interior did not have The Big Lebowski Vagrants sleeping in it and using it as a toilet) minus engine and trans go for FIVE DOLLARS! Nobody was bidding on it, and somebody jokingly said "$5" --- Wally, the guy running the Auction said "$5? $5? $5 Going once (laughter), going twice....(More laughter) SOLD for $5!" A second guy squawked "WHAT?" as Wally said "$5 Miniumum Bid, man bid $5, nobody else bid, so he get it for $5!" The guy says "Well, HELL I'll give you $25 for it then! I didn't think you would sell it for $5!" The guy that made the bid was "Waitaminit, I was JOKING! I don't want this!" Wally says "Well, you bid, you won, it's yours!" The two made a deal outside the yard because the one guy was REALLY regretting being a smartass! Car looked like someone was going through an engine change. All the accessories were carefully removed and wired to the firewall or fenderwells and bagged really nicely. Car was impounded for Parked on the Street 72 Hours. Beautiful car, and about a crate motor and tranny away from being a VERY nice ride indeed!

I had to pass on an EARLY Falcon Ranchero (Red with White Button-Tuck Interior) that someone bought there to take out the Hybrid Z Swap of an L28 and Five Speed for his 73 Z Car! GIVEN to me...but had to pass as I didn't have a place to store it at the time, until I had the time to put any number of engine/5speeds I had in storage. Beautiful car impounded for No License, No Registration, No Insurance. The guy got that car for $175... I would really like to have that car, the conversion was primo using mount converters so that it looked stock. That would have been SUCH a bitchen' ride!

Sometimes things like numbers get burned into your brain. I'm lucky I didn't have more money or I would have branched out beyond Z's for sure!

Edited by Tony D