HybridZ

power transistor alternatives

I'm looking to collect a list of economic alternatives to the stock PTU. The GM HEI upgrade has had mixed reviews, but its install write-up is here, courtesy of Skittles. Www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.p hp?t=27569

Has anyone used junkyard transistors? Any tips for compatibility?

EDIT FOR MECHANICS

Edited by noelawinslow

Many of the mid-90's Nissans, like the Pathfinder, used a 3 wire power tranistor that looks like it would work.  Ground, ECU Pin1 and coil primary circuit.  Same basic design as the ZX turbo systems.  The wrecking yards are full of them, or about $60 to 120 at RockAuto.com

Attached a drawing from the 95 Pathfinder FSM, Page EF & EC 235.

post-8864-0-23943700-1370232913_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewZed

I explained to my buddy Raff (Careless) how to do an upgraded PTU from a Pathfinder ages ago...he then did a writeup. Its a awesome upgrade that improves spark greatly...myself and many others since we told people about it have noticed huge improvements in driveability. Its NOT plug and play though, but almost.

http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18665-Upgrade-to-PRW-2-Ign-Control-Module-(Power-Transistor-Unit)

• 1 month later...

I get them for like 12 bucks from the local junkyards off of any VG30e engine.......later is better simply because the part is newer.......I forget what I pay for it with the coil.

I also get the little resistor/condensor, the coil, bracket,  and a bit of harnessing that has the connectors and find they work great for Z31 or even L28et.

It makes for a neat and tidy package.

Edited by HowlerMonkey