HybridZ

Yet another rear drum to disk conversion option!

Nigel

Glad to see there's continuing interest in the kit! Looks like I could have easily done a bigger run. For those that missed out on the first round, I would like to do more. However, at this time I'm making no promises as to when that will be. I'm going to be swamped with my real job for the next 4 weeks, I'm rewiring a friend's engine bay following that, plus I need to get my own Z running.

I'll post here or start a new thread when I'm ready to go again. Should be much faster turn around next time as I've got all the logistics worked out now.

BTW, if someone can't wait for a rear disk conversion, I have a brand new NLA Modern Motorsports Xtreme 13" rear kit for sale. It's well designed, but despite the 13" rotor has no more (actually less, IIRC) brake torque than the Lincoln caliper with Mustang rotor. It is lighter though. The kit sold new for $1225. I picked it up for $800 + shipping. I just want to make my money back, so I'm asking $800 + shipping. Fits 17" rims and some 16". It's been test fit but the calipers and lines have never had fluid in them.

There's a picture here:

http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3633&d=1366986315

Nigel

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally got around to ordering the parts I need to install this kit. Anybody who has completed this install have any hints or tricks? I ended up getting the jag aluminum calipers due them actually being cheaper from rock auto than the steel Lincoln ones. Went with cheap pads for now due running the non vented Toyota brakes up front.

Hey Alec, everything is still sitting in storage here waiting for me to finally get the car running again before I take it up to the shop to do the work. The Jag calipers were cheaper? I ordered all the stuff a while ago but I think I got the steel ones because they must've been cheaper at the time. Hmm...

Surprised me too. Seemed to be be last set they had left so that may explain the cheaper price. Paid about $215 including core charge for what I believe is a full rear set of calipers. The steel ones were $125 apiece. We'll see once everything arrives if I got the right thing.

And to make matters even more fun, popped the hood to check a few things today after letting the car sit for many months and my brake master has leaked all out the back of it and ruined the fresh engine bay and booster paint in the area. So FYI to all, Eastwood's fancy 2k Engine Bay paint that is not particularly cheap and is supposed to be chemical resistant did not stand up in the least to brake fluid. This was a 2 part paint that I applied with an HVLP gun and it bubbled and peeled as bad as the spray paint I had previously applied in the engine bay. So now I have a Willwood 1" cylinder on the way as well. Let's hope I can avoid brake fluid leaks going forward....

Surprised me too. Seemed to be be last set they had left so that may explain the cheaper price. Paid about $215 including core charge for what I believe is a full rear set of calipers. The steel ones were $125 apiece. We'll see once everything arrives if I got the right thing.

And to make matters even more fun, popped the hood to check a few things today after letting the car sit for many months and my brake master has leaked all out the back of it and ruined the fresh engine bay and booster paint in the area. So FYI to all, Eastwood's fancy 2k Engine Bay paint that is not particularly cheap and is supposed to be chemical resistant did not stand up in the least to brake fluid. This was a 2 part paint that I applied with an HVLP gun and it bubbled and peeled as bad as the spray paint I had previously applied in the engine bay. So now I have a Willwood 1" cylinder on the way as well. Let's hope I can avoid brake fluid leaks going forward....

Damn, good deal. I just looked back at my records and I paid $115 each (core included) for the Lincoln calipers.

Major bummer about the brake master... :(

Well, another lesson learned. When measurements are provided for wheel fitment, it best actually measure the wheel before ordering parts, and not just assume that since someone tested a similar wheel that it'll be alright. So far the kit is great and Install is going well, but the aluminum Jag calipers do NOT fit 16x8 XXR 002 wheels. At the plane of the wheel mounting surface there is only about 180mm of radius clearance. The wheel slopes inward at this point and clearance is lost. A half inch spacer would probably move the wheel out enough to work, but these wheels barely fit my non flared car as it is. Going to return the aluminum ones and order heavy steel ones :( .

Well, another lesson learned. When measurements are provided for wheel fitment, it best actually measure the wheel before ordering parts, and not just assume that since someone tested a similar wheel that it'll be alright. So far the kit is great and Install is going well, but the aluminum Jag calipers do NOT fit 16x8 XXR 002 wheels. At the plane of the wheel mounting surface there is only about 180mm of radius clearance. The wheel slopes inward at this point and clearance is lost. A half inch spacer would probably move the wheel out enough to work, but these wheels barely fit my non flared car as it is. Going to return the aluminum ones and order heavy steel ones :( .

Wanna trade me? I'll make up the cost-difference. :D

If the Jag calipers fit my 16" Panasports that is...

Edited by Leon

The steel calipers showed up last night. I've got maybe 2-3mm of clearance, but they do fit with my wheels. Looking forward to finishing up my install this weekend. Doubt I'll be driving it anytime soon though to set up F/R balance and get any driving impressions. Super pleased with the quality of the kit though. The parking cable is a PITA to install, but then I was too lazy to pull exhaust or driveshaft to gain better access. A set of extended-reach, longnose, curved tip needle-nose pliers was the only reason I was able to do it without removing parts. These big beautiful brakes in the back really make me want to upgrade my fronts now from the non-vented toyota setup I've had installed for the last 10 years or so. No real reason to do so at this point other than aesthetics. Looks a little funny having bigger rotors in the back :)