HybridZ

Custom widebody and custom dash

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested to see where this goes as well. I am a huge fan of the subtlez kit (currently have one in progress), and it only gets better with the added width of the yz rears. Looking at your pics I realize that your recessed door treatment would go great for a front fender vent, if flipped around. As Mikelly asked, are you making functional venting with the recesses?

There are several wide body kits, but I don't see any attractive wide body Z over original shape of Z.

attachicon.gifJimClarkRacing.jpg

When kits cover the whole length of the fenders, I never liked how the stock door panels always made it obvious that the fenders were add ons.

I originally had jimcookracing flares on this car in 2002, before the ZG flares become so popular.  The body shop messed up, so ripped the flares off and bought the fenders from reactionresearch.com

http://240z.tumblr.com/post/43601358947/it-took-18-months-for-this-body-shop-to-ruin-my

Edited by modernmagic

I am interested to see where this goes as well. I am a huge fan of the subtlez kit (currently have one in progress), and it only gets better with the added width of the yz rears. Looking at your pics I realize that your recessed door treatment would go great for a front fender vent, if flipped around. As Mikelly asked, are you making functional venting with the recesses?

I am currently talking with John of reactionresearch.com about bringing these door panels and customized fenders to market as a complete kit.

One more thing, is that carpet on your garage floor? Nice....

The carpet is nice but I have the car parked on a plastic sheet and then I srop down a plastic sheet curatin that is stapeled to the celing to creat a dust booth.  That way I don't have to clean up the whole garage or worry about my 64' mustang also parked in the garage.  

tumblr_mik1vouLFG1r8csnao1_1280.jpg

P.S. The mustang is for sale to pay for all I want to do to the z, which is my favorite car.   :-)

Edited by modernmagic

• 1 month later...

Pretty Nifty project. I like the door scallops.  I wonder what this would look like in Gnose clothes?  I'd really like to see this painted too.  How wide of tired do you think you could fit under that rear?

The tire I have installed are 275/35zr18 with about 2.5" of space before they hit the spring.  But I left a little wiggle room so that when I lower the car and straighten the camber that the outside edge of the tire will not rub the new fender.  I therefore don't know how much wider of a tire could fit.   

The rear's have 4" spacers that also convert to 5 lug so I could find less expensive wheels. 

What steering wheel and wheels will end up on this creature  :icon12:

1. I tried a cheap Grant steering wheel, but didn't like the smaller diameter.  At this point, I plan to use my original stock steering wheel.  I just need to refit the horn pad.

2. I bought these wheels and tires, about 5 years ago.  They are 235/40zr18 fronts and 275/35zr18 rears.  I have 2" front spacers and 4" rear spacers.  What you see is what will be :-)

240z-wheels.png