HybridZ

631 (6 cylinders, 3 carbs, 1 turbo)

Howdy, just joined this site to get some info and some feed back on a project I have started.

I own a s30 with a built 2,7l (l24).  I want to put the icing on the cake now. With that being said, onto the start of Turbo charging the motor.  I am in the process of completely my sheet metal Air plenum for the car. I am going after a simple box style (think cartech) with that being said  I am now entering new territory. I love old volvos and have a fast knowledge of redblocks.   I need some people to give me some friendly advice on a few things.

1. where is the best place to tap  for a oil feed line to the turbo charger.
2, where would I find ?brass? replacement components for my triple weber dcoes( boost related)
3. what would be a good big turbo for this application (t3 style flange.)

the current motor sits like this.

2.4l bored .060 out to a 2.7l
comp cam 280 duration 460 lift.
electronic ignition
built valve train
mallory hyfire Ignition
built bottom
triple weber dcoes 40s
holley premium red fuel pump
holley fuel pressure reg
header
twice pipes.

she is a screamer and goes pretty good.  BUT I want to be different. 

I am looking for advice and steps to get this going.  

pics will follow shortly.

links to other builds are always welcome~!

post-39730-0-51988900-1370631056_thumb.jpg

There is limited info for pressurizing triples on here - because it isn't that practical and difficult to tune. Plus, once you've upgrade fuel an exhaust plumbing most guys have decided to just swap out a turbo motor.

I would love to pressurize my Mikunis to be different - but I'm going to do the wiser thing and FI the engine.

Good luck

There is limited info for pressurizing triples on here - because it isn't that practical and difficult to tune. Plus, once you've upgrade fuel an exhaust plumbing most guys have decided to just swap out a turbo motor.

I would love to pressurize my Mikunis to be different - but I'm going to do the wiser thing and FI the engine.

Good luck

Yes, Yetterben didn't document anything on his 360hp triple Weber Blowthrough setup at all...

(Especially about those brass floats...)

And he lives over in Wisconsin not too far from MN..

But he sold that setup, it's running on an S130 in Holland now at 230kw by some 70-ish Dutchman...

Searching is your friend here.

Edited by Tony D

I should have figured Tony would have a rebuttal for my post.

Let me restate this just for you Tony:

Relative to other induction systems found on the L6 , blow thru triples are rare and information is scarce.

....and I have searched.

Can it be done - yes- but there isn't a lot of experienced support on this site.

Yetterben documented extensively and excruciatingly his build.

And of course, I have been a voice of ITB Reason since shelving my 25+ year owned PHH Blowthrough Turbo Car...

Still have it, but moved to the EFI Revolution as prices made it inevitable.

If experienced support is what you want...you gotta do the legwork, first. I, for one, do not like repeating myself on this particular subject.

Worst thing that ever happened: Summer Break & Wangan Midnight Redux!

It's far from unique, it's antique!!!

"Relative to other induction systems found on the L6 , blow thru triples are rare and information is scarce."

Centrifugal Supercharged L6 ...

Latham Supercharged L6, any induction style...

Blow-Through SU's...

Those are three I see less than triple Blowthrough setups...relative is relative!

Alright Guys, yesterday I scored a turbo exhaust manifold, decided I am going to use some 6061 for the air plenum box.
I have plenty of intercooler piping from old turbo cars.  As of right now my eyes are set on a gt3076r journal bearing
oil cooled only. I have a feeling it should spool just fine and really feed some air to the engine. the part list is getting smaller
and smaller.   :icon54: 

Intercooler
Turbo charger
oil feed/drain
brass weber parts
fuel pressure regulator

Edited by japscrap

You can get oil at the pressure sender, that's where the factory turbo motors got it. For an easily available and reasonably well matched turbo, my vote goes to HX/HY35's, the HY's give better response and the HX's can give more power, both will make >400rwhp. I bought mine for $200.

Car looks good in the video! Though I have talked myself out of doing a project like this, I still like to see it done. My plan-if I did it-was to at least have megasquirt installed to run spark instead of just locking down a dizzy. I would think that a programmable ignition, things could be kept better in control and less likely to go BOOM.

I would shoot for better distribution of air then just shooting the pressure into one end of a box. I thought a cheap way to do this would be to take your 'box' and weld a tapered intercooler end tank to the side or bottom and use a smaller channel to disperse air to your plenum.

Keep us updated    

Read the stickey from monster on box design...

<EDIT> I just watched that video. Oh, Christ god almighty! DON'T DO IT MAN!!!! NOT WITH THAT BOX!!!!

I now PLEAD: read the sticky on box design started by Monzster!

You will be SORRY with that box design, partial throttle enleanment...OH HELL NO!

I had a crappy looking HKS Knockoff box with baffles in it that, functionally was PERFECT save the fact it knocked on my hood a bit, and looked like crap.

I changed to a simple-style Cartech "Box" like that and picked up a highway speed transient lean spot THAT WOULD NOT GO AWAY! It convinced me to,go EFI. That exact-same style box.

Oh god, don't do THAT!

Read the sticky! PLEASE!!!

Edited by Tony D

LOL that 70 year old Dutchman happens to be my dad..

Tony is right.. Blow through is nice from a period correct point of view.. and well my dad being his age grew up with carbs and he likes and understand them..

He hates computers..

And is not tempted to floor the car from traffic light to traffic light, but has the 'jedi' mind power older people have to actually use the throttle dosed to reach a certain set speed...

I say ITB's all the way and i still cry that i had to swap mine to a set of carbs to Tony te be legal in my raceclass. But efi gives you more control and more reliable control than (under boost) leaky and fumes spewing carbs.

But yeah it does look impressive i give you that!  However dont go box style source a decent HKS box

Edited by frank280zx

Alright guys thanks for chiming in! during the week I am pretty busy with work, but at work I do find time to cut things up. I am going to run 5052 Alum, for the intake, I cut up two of the box style style boxes you guys know and love  :icon12: . I cut up two different materials to compare after welding I believe one was .098 on the mic, and .124.  the original style was a tapered style design, but due to space and how the cartech box was. I decided to go with it. I will be running shorty stacks inside the box which will help with air flow inside.  could I just add a 90 degree bend half was on box? Tony D, how long was the lean spot? I will read the sticky about the lean spot when I have time. Thanks for the input guys and please keep it coming! I am in talks with  guys at the rotary shack for my webers. I picked up a semi ported turbo manifold with a broken stud, just extract that at work and open it up a bit more. I am going with either a turbonetics hurricane series turbo, or  holset hx series.  I need to score a wide band for accurate readings from the engine.  that is all just a little update on this project. I will shoot another video going into more details and questions and bs.

Mocked up the tapered box which needs to be welded. 
picked up a nice intercooler for cheap.
turbo might be ordered next check. holset or turbonetics hurricane series.  I believe it is a .63 ar.  turbo sizing suggestions would be nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT1XPtLX3jI&feature=youtu.be

I am hoping you guys like the box better.

Edited by japscrap

Alright guys just a quick question before I head off to work. 

neoprene floats are a no go? 

little update 

puchased and in transit: 3/8 fuel hard line, wide band 02 meter, walbro 255,  hks bov, 3l fuel surge tank.

picking up spare oil pan  to weld on.

half way done with the carb hat.  (replicating  this surge box  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivolNXwhi4 )

-----------------

just need:  turbo (down pipe and feed/drain lines, battery relocation kit (for surge tank),  spare jets to drill to various sizes, fancy fuel fittings, 3 port fuel block.

n.a. crab walk for bonus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUP_msFJdYY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUlRK2VyEoN0M6mJTcIiFtvg

Edited by japscrap