HybridZ

RB CAS drive gear replacement info.

stony

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we satisfying the ecu in question concerning setting base timing and have some way to see that timing on the front pulley?

Some ecu of that family have a 5 degree timing change at idle depending on ground to a certain terminal.....usually from the park/neutral safety switch that retards timing 5 degrees.

This is on ecus that came from automatic sourced cars.

Sounds good Stony, I hope this helps someone else out. I had read about three other threads on different sites that describe the exact same problems I was having but no one ever posted a solution so I post on all of them hoping to get a response but none the less I was on my own. I have also read that if the half moon pin is broken that the wondering signal will result in a massive retard in timing from the ECU.

Just as a side note to all that are planning to do this swap. Take the time to find a reliable and honest source for the motor before ordering. I bought mine from Canada and when it arrived, everything on the exterior was broken. I know that most of the importers don't warrant against exterior parts being broken but I have spent over a $1000 replacing what was broken on mine and as of now a whole lot of time because the cam drive pin (which is technically attached to an internal part by the way) was part of what was broken. I would also recommend asking for pictures of the motor before ordering so that you know what you should be getting.

Edited by Vandergriff84

Agreed, Best way to go is get it out of a running clip. 9 times out of ten when you get it from japan it has come out of a wrecked car. if it was a front hit there is a good chance the water pump tab on the black will be broken off. 

Howlermonkey the conversation about timing was a legit conversation... i weeded most of it out because even though it was accurate it wasn't related to the problem as a whole in this thread. The issues I had and the stuff that V went thru are pretty much everything that could go wrong with the cas drive gear replacement and hopefully will prevent any excessive downtime for anybody in the future.