HybridZ

w58/R154 question.

AkumaNoZeta

I'm building an 88 7MGE-T and all I could afford right now is a W58 transmission, for an early 260Z. I plan to upgrade to a R154 after the car is "finished" and before I try tuning for higher boost. My question is on the shifter placement though, does anyone know it the two transmissions are the same in that aspect?

Depends which transmissions you get. Most of the R154's you find are "shorter," coming from the MKIII Supra, but there is another version about 1.5" longer, IIRC, and then another that's another 5"(?) longer. Most of the W58's I've seen are as long as the long R154 since they come out of the SC300/Soarer or non-turbo Supra. Regardless of what you do, I think you don't need to worry much about that difference. It has a negligible impact on the work required, especially if you have the motor set way back.

Edited by ShaggyZ

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the w58 shifter assembly cover is thinner than the R154 one, which makes me think they are not interchangeable. The R154 with a 7mgte backed up to the firewall (leaving the stock hood latch mechanism) requires you to cut the transmission tunnel 2 inches forward and even with that a stock shifter might be out of the question (1, 3, and 5th, would be in your heater control). The w58 has the shifter located what I would guess is another inch or so back, so I would think using the stock center console is still going to be very difficult. The parts for extending the shifter cover and mechanism has skyrocketed, the toyota OEM parts for the two pieces needed to move the R154 back is roughly 200, there also is a service online that will extend both to your desired length and that costs approximately 250. I plan on extending the shifter itself back.

Edited by seattlejester