HybridZ

Hooker Headers 2147 and 3" exhaust

I just ran across something interesting:

I have a very old swap in my 71 240Z. It pre-dates JTR kits old, but it has a set of Hookers on it which Im guessing were later additions.

Well Ive been slowly gathering parts and going through the car to get it road worthy once again. I bought a set of replacement Hooker headers used from a local member here, and they are the same exact part number, but slightly different!

Since I had not run across anything detailing this before I thought Id share, though Im sure someone on here has to know about this.

2013-06-15185817_zpsf0bcfb7c.jpg

2013-06-15185830_zps5923be32.jpg

The Driver side appears to be identical, but it is also different! They changed the lengths slightly and it resolved some frame rail rubbing I had.

And because I was under the car here are some shots of my 3" exhaust, which I will soon be adding a Jones Full Boar single chamber and flex pipe to next week.

2013-06-16195252_zps2bb9b0da.jpg

2013-06-16195240_zps3be24ed7.jpg

This is the spot I can add the single chamber

2013-06-16195408_zps71e3442a.jpg

just before the rear end front cross member. Its the size of a 10 series flowmaster so it should fit at only 9" wide and approx total length of 13"

2013-06-16195220_zpsae3873b0.jpg

2013-06-16194900_zps4daebba1.jpg

EDIT: Yes I know I still have a long way to go... like the 1/2" aluminum fuel line tube that can be seen in some of th pictures... where no one should ever think of routing fuel lines...

Edited by rayaapp2

Thanks Mike!

Frank,

If I can get a T56 sorted in the car by next year amongst the other projects I might get someone to drive it down. Fingers crossed the Monster 260Z will be coming down with the 280yz kit on it. I have so much to do, but its a year off so who knows.

Ill be glad when all 3 of my Z cars are roadworthy once again. Its overwhelming having 3 down. At least I can drive the 570Z once again. I have to sort out a power steering pump on the 570Z so I can get the hydro-boost brake system in next. Im in search of a V-belt pulley for the 96 PS pump I have since I cannot bolt up the vortec brackets on my engine with these heads.

Im searching for a nice set of aftermarket heads for it as well, Maybe Ill get lucky and find heads that let me run the serpentine belt assembly...

rayaapp2:

Do those headers fit a JTR engine mounts SBC installation and MISS the steering shaft on the drivers side?  What is the hooker part number for those headers??  If I can use those headers, then I will change my Oil Pan to one without kick-outs to accommodate the hooker headers. Your engine installation that pre-dates the JTR installation must have the engine further forward of the JTR installation and therefore less clearance between the number 1 exhaust header primary pipe and the steering shaft.  Need your response on this matter. Please advise.  Thanks.

Glad you bought those headers and can use them man!  I'll shoot some pics of the intakes and air boxes I have for ya!

Mike

Mike:

Who did you get your latest oil pan from and what is the part number of the pan?  Wrote a post to rayaapp2 regarding his Hooker Headers with questions about steering shaft clearance.  Please advise.  Thanks.

rayaapp2:

Do those headers fit a JTR engine mounts SBC installation and MISS the steering shaft on the drivers side?  What is the hooker part number for those headers??  If I can use those headers, then I will change my Oil Pan to one without kick-outs to accommodate the hooker headers. Your engine installation that pre-dates the JTR installation must have the engine further forward of the JTR installation and therefore less clearance between the number 1 exhaust header primary pipe and the steering shaft.  Need your response on this matter. Please advise.  Thanks.

The part number is in the title.

The engine is forward and I have no reference to the JTR kit so I cannot tell you if the headers fit it or not. There is a bit of information on these headers in this forum somewhere. You might find the answer you seek by spending some time searching.

I plan on making up some mounts that shove the engine back a little more in the future. I will have to see how everything lines up and how much clearance underneath I have. It will happen when I replace the TH350 with a manual transmission.

Im not sure you will be able to find a set of these headers. I dont know if they make them still. Im sure I got lucky when Mike posted them up in the for sale section and they were suppose to be the same as what I had.

• 2 weeks later...

So let us start with what I did briefly.

I ordered up a Full Boar 3" in/out Single Chamber muffler with is a knockoff of the Flowmaster 10 series.

I also installed a section of stainless flex pipe to reduce rattling of the exhaust system. And that seems to have worked!

2013-06-21131343_zps20c17f99.jpg

2013-06-21140727_zpsb7d7fc43.jpg

2013-06-21140732_zps0a12356d.jpg

And the Video

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RXwvs2X210Q

Id simply embed it, but I dont know how on this site anymore.

Edited by rayaapp2

Holy crap! That thing sounds wicked. What is the compression on that beast?

I couldn't tell you... Ive never opened that engine up other than removing the intake and valve covers.

This engines been in there for a while. At least the past 11 years, possibly a lot longer... The car had already been swapped pretty early on. Somewhere around 79/80 is the first record I have that the car was already swapped... and about 4 owners ago.

Ive just done all the maintenance and tuning to get it running after being in pieces and on jacks for 10 years.

Here is what I started with, Ive been polishing a super turd:

2012-07-24192825.jpg

350z3.jpg

350z2.jpg