HybridZ

are catalytic converters required

Fairlady240Z

Hello HybridZ forums:  I have been collecting parts for my 1972 Fairlady 240Z RHD build for the past year or so. Wanted to amass majority of the parts before undertaking this build.  I have acquired an R34 RB26DETT engine with an R34 RB25DET NEO 5 speed transmission.  I want to go with a twin 2 1/2" exhaust system, searched the exhaust forums and could not find out if catalytic converters and O2 sensors are needed or required.  Please understand I am not a mechanic I am just trying to gather info to complete my HybridZ.  Any insight would greatly be appreciated thank to all for your input in advanced.

The ecu will require an upstream o2 sensor for controlling fuel not sure if the rb26 ecu has a downstream (emissions) o2 sensor but if it does it shouldn't be required. I'm not a seasoned rb guy but general mechanics holds true. Depending on the age of your vehicle and local/state laws a catalytic converter may not be required for inspection.

As noted earlier, read up on your state laws, some states require inspection of even older vehicles. I believe it is unlawful to tamper with emissions and safety equipment but I also believe that is per VIN number on your vehicle so this turns into a grey area since your car did not have that equipment originally. I know in my state (CT) it never becomes an issue since we dont do emissions or inspection on older vehicles, but again, it pays to get informed.

• 6 months later...