HybridZ

3D printing custom emblems

I will be printing this prototype this weekend.

Honestly, it would be about 4-6 hours of modeling plus printing and finishing for a custom emblem, so it might get expensive to pay a 3D modeler to make something custom.... But it would be very cool.

I made a universal base and will be making several different styles of faces to try out for myself.

If it turns out well, I would be a contributing member and could have a few styles for sale.

post-29918-0-16484300-1372473246_thumb.jpg

post-29918-0-67422300-1372473256_thumb.jpg

post-29918-0-36621600-1372473272_thumb.jpg

Sure no prob. I will try to upload tomorrow. I would like to know the people who are interested or have skills in digital fabrication.

It would be great to have a wiki database of files to share. I know there is a very detailed and precise model of the a whole 240z out there that I would love to have.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this could turn into some cool emblems. I have some experience with 3D printing in college and can tell you from experienc to be careful with your designs based on the type of 3D printer you use. Some can use fillers to backfill hollow areas and some cant. The renderings from post #9 may have trouble with the areas behind the "Z" if the mounting nipples are on the bottom because you need to build layers upon underlying/supporting layers, therefore, bridging the circle part of the emblem with the Z will give you trouble. If you try to flip it over and use the face of the emblem as the base you may encounter issues with the convex shape. Don't forget that you can also design your emblem as multiple pieces for 3D printing and then assemble them for finishing. Hope this helps ya a bit and saves you some headaches down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I've done the Series 1 240z side emblems already.  I'm using Creo Elements (free) to model, and they're coming out pretty nice, though I need to mod a few lines that are less than .5mm gap so they will print better when cut into the .STL file.   I'm printing w/o mount pins and just planning on using that 3m doublestick tape. it works awesome.  What 3D printers are you using?  Mine's a Prusa Mendel .5mm, but I'm going to build a Prusa i3 with a .25mm nozzle, that should print pretty nice.  

post-4150-0-53229700-1377642016_thumb.jpg

I've made a few parts for the Z cars, The 240z Horn repair ring and a couple other little pieces.  It works pretty well.   I charge about $10/hour to model stuff and print. For the most part it's pretty good, break even, and help out the fellow Z guys.    I think a Wiki would be awesome for parts that are NLA or impossible to find.  Not to mention upgrades for Z's.

If you want to collaborate, or if anyone needs anything made, let me know.

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late response. I couldn't log in to the forums for a long time, but just figured out it was AVAST antivirus preventing me for some reason.

Anyways, I would definitely be up for collaborating, or sharing files/info. I was in a meetup group with a Makerbot, and they got a new Replicator 2.

I realized that the material PLA is not good for use in even medium-temp conditions, and it is much more difficult to print in ABS.

I think the best thing is to send the model to a 3D printing service like Shapeways, or Sculpteo.. there are many out there, and have it made in metal.