HybridZ

Which Turbo Overhaul Kit?

Chris Duncan

Got my '93 R32 front clip a while back and noticed that one of the turbo's has oil leaking into the intake side. Also want to upgrade the ceramic turbine wheels to steel so they will eventually take more boost.

Shopping on Ebay and looking at two different kits. They both have everything needed with pre balanced Inconel turbine wheels and shafts. One of the kits additionally has compressor wheels.

Do I really need new compressor wheels? Should I get the kit with them at $350 or the kit without them at $300?

post-38295-0-79768200-1371778948_thumb.jpg

post-38295-0-56290200-1371779453_thumb.jpg

These sites also claim this overhaul job can be accomplished by a skilled DIYer. Has anyone here done this?

I tried to rebuild the turbo on my MR2 a few years back and it was unsuccessful. If I am not mistaken it has to be rebalanced once you put it back together and that is a job for the experts with proper tools. If someone else has had more success I would be glad to hear their experience and results.

• 1 month later...

I tried to rebuild the turbo on my MR2 a few years back and it was unsuccessful. If I am not mistaken it has to be rebalanced once you put it back together and that is a job for the experts with proper tools. If someone else has had more success I would be glad to hear their experience and results.

This is 100% true. I work with turbos for a living and believe me, most of our warranties are either contaminated oil or imbalance.

A few things to consider:

A bit of oil leakage around the turbo is acceptable. Pressure wash the engine thoroughly, continue running the engine and keep an eye out for EXCESSIVE oil leaks.

Just because there is a film of oil in your charge or intake does NOT mean your turbo is blown.

Check for shaft play, if its not excessive and the wheel doesn't rub the housings then I'd leave it.

Upgrading to steel wheels is a waste of time IMO the pictures you linked look like chinese kits to me. i wouldn't be suprised if the turbine wheel was imbalanced from the start, the chinese thrust collars like to be out of balance to. Add your compressor wheel onto this and some crooked threads that tweak the entire shaft when tightened and you have  grenade turbo waiting to explode.

The company is right, you can assemble the turbo yourself. This doesn't mean it will last. 

Leave the turbos as they are. If you want them rebuilt, save your money and buy upgrades or jump to a single turbo.

Take a picture of the "leaking turbo".

Edited by 240zdan