HybridZ

R-compound vs "Extreme Performance Summer tire"

Hey All,

I've been running Toyo Proxes R888 tires on my Z the past couple years and they've been great. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I can't get them in Canada through my usual dealer this year. They're available online but the duty to get them to Canada would be ridiculous and so I'm looking for other options. Typically, due to traction issues I'm sure we all face, I run an R-compound tire (Yokohama Advan or Toyo Proxes) to maximize my stock suspension setup and 299rwhp. But I've been reading a lot on tire websites promoting Extreme Performance Summer tires and I'm trying to figure out if they're a lot of manufacturer mumbo jumbo or a decent option for someone with traction issues and whether or not there will be a massive difference in quality between them and an R-compound. Any thoughts?

The actual material is a difference. an R compound will almost always outgrip a "extreme summer" tire. The compromise is that you get a longer life from the tire. 

The BFgoodwrench Rivals are damn near about r comps though. I've run the Khumo Ecsta XS, and I'm currently on Hankook Ventus RS-3's. Both of which I love. All are very sticky street tires. 

My brother drives an integra type r and uses Dunlop Direzza DZ101's and loves them, but when I tried them they slid more than the old version of the Hankook RS3's I  had. I did not like them as a performance tire, but they definitely had lasting power.

I went through a 2 year evaluation before I settled on my Dunlops.  I looked at "street legal" track tires and the extreme performance summer tires.  The track tires have the better grip but just didn't have enough "life" in them when driven on the street. I needed the stickiest tires I could find that I could expect to get at least 15,000 miles out of in combined street and occaisional track driving. I finally settled on the Dunlop Direzza and it seems to handle my 325 rwhp well.  I still light them up big time in 1st but they hold fine in second and above. I'm upgrading from a stock suspension to a Techno Toy suspension in the next month so I'll see if that changes things any.  Right now I'm pretty happy.

I've got Toyo R1R's on my Miata. They work GREAT in the rain, but you can overheat the tires when it is sunny. See you're in BC, so they might be an option for you if you're autoxing.

Any tire is going to wear the outside shoulder off in pretty short order with stock suspension, so it would be a good idea to work on adding neg camber and pos caster to make the tires last longer.

• 2 weeks later...