HybridZ

LS vs SBC Friday Night 1/8-mile Test and Tune

I made a new friend who just bought a '76 280z that is equipped with a cammed 350 SBC with a Turbo 350 trans.  He has an R200 with what I think is a very loose CLSD and stock u-joint axles and stock stub axles.  He bought the car already built but without a motor and trans.  He put the motor and trans together on a budget.  It has a solid engine plate, Hooker headers (that fit really well) and an aluminum fuel cell and a dynomax 2-in/2-out 3" muffler.  He's on 8" wheels and 10" slicks.  Stock suspension. The previous owner installed a little link between the rear crossmember and the control arm bushing bolt-anybody familiar with this??

We got together at his shop and convoyed up to Lawrenceburg, TN for 2 hours of running against one another.  My car is a LS2/T56/240z with coilovers, line lock and 2-step with a tight R200 CLSD and CV axles and Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs.  I'm on 7" wheels with 8.5 slicks.

He only got 5 runs in, then his battery died and wouldn't keep the fuel pump running (no alternator).  I hot lapped until the place closed-so I won on reliability.  But, the competition was very close (look at the gaps).  The videos posted show him beating me at the light.  It was super humid and my 60' times and ETs were well below my best, but my mph's were pretty good.  They did ZERO track prep and I was spinning off the line every run.  I'll post our timeslips later.  The videos I post show me getting beaten at the light twice!  He had a case of the "red-lights" when running against me, but I was faster on the top end, so I got the fun of chasing him down all night.  I had a case of the red-lights in the middle of the evening but cut the light pretty well overall.  With a car so reliable, I could really concentrate on my driving; made lots of little mistakes, but I'm getting better.

I'm uploading the videos onto Youtube and will add them shortly.  I think these guys have the capacity to spank me with very little work, but I've told them that I'm doing no motor mods for 2 years, so I'm hoping they will go easy so we can stay close and keep competing from a driver perspective.  I think he has some different heads and a looser converter up his sleeve (and hopefully an alternator).  Next meeting is July 13th at Jake's Dragway in Moulton, Alabama.

Timeslips:  LS-#72, SBC-#17, .500 is a perfect full-tree reaction,  *=win, +=first across finish

Time     Car       Gap       React    60'       1/8-mile    mph   comment

8:34      72*                     .544     1.579      7.181      97.8

17+      .113       .256     1.605      7.356      92.8  red light, 17 y/o driver!

8:39      72+*    .048        .787     1.632      7.336      95.5  sleeping at the wheel!

17                      .696     1.624      7.476      91.2  17 y/o driver

8:53       72+*    .495        .504     1.603      7.279      97.3

17                      .601     1.672      7.678      89.0   battery/fuel pump stumble/thought car was hot so took break, 17 y/o driver

8:58       72+      1.11       .484     1.593      7.264      97.2  red light

13*                     .642     1.747      8.220      82.8  80's Malibu

9:00       72                      .497     1.615      7.221      98.4  red light

9:04       72                      .374     1.591      7.290      85.7  can't figure that ET at that speed-what's up red lights???

9:08       72                      .529     1.596      7.219      98.0  pulling it back together

9:14       72                      .530     1.571      7.221      97.5 

9:20       17+       .215      .056     1.700      7.506      91.8  new driver (61 y/o car owner) really-a half second red light?

72*                     .600     1.594      7.178      98.4  had to sit for a while gawking at the flagrant red light

9:25       17                      .293     1.678      7.523      90.8  red light, battery died after run, third driver (crew chief) didn't get to run

72+*      .093     .563     1.579      7.161      98.2  time for a hamburger and coke

9:49       72                      .517     1.697      7.463      95.3  great light, but must have been a big hamburger!

Gearing is my friend.  We both have 3.54s, but I am between the shift light (6000) and the rev-limiter (6600?) in 3rd gear going thru the beams, and he has JUST shifted into 3rd and is well below max power going thru the beams.  We are already planning a 1/4-mile trip sometime this summer, or perhaps going on the trip to Silver Dollar Raceway that is being planned on the forum.

http://youtu.be/iLFARn5i9Ac

http://youtu.be/kd1qIms7bKQ

post-5903-0-39901900-1372026658_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-25157100-1372026666_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-92218300-1372033106_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-01393300-1372033114_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-83942200-1372033120_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-99307400-1372033126_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Hey Keith! Terry here. I'm now a new member to this site. Thanks for the invite.

We had a blast last Friday night racing our stock bore /stroke 350 SBC Z against your LS powered Z. Man, your car looks great and runs awesome!

The only real performance items in the motor in our car is a mild comp cams solid roller cam, victor jr. intake, and a 750 holley double pumper carb (just a bunch of parts I had laying around the shop). It's a budget motor to say the least.

Can't wait to get together again, race, and talk tech about the differentals and maintenance suggestions on these cars.

Got to get some Zzzzzz's (no pun intended :icon10:) Have a great week, and we'll get together soon!

Regards,

Terry

SunnyZ-it was super fun. Door to door all night!

Nexgen1IIc is a three man racing team composed of Dwight (car owner), Terry (the brain), and Houston (the boy wonder). It really stunk that the battery pooped out before Terry got some seat time because he was .1 faster than the other two last trip to the strip. With their experience in racing, they will likely be smoking me before summers end. Figured out why my last run was slower-Houston was in my passenger seat-Terry, what does that kid weigh?

Terry, your gear options at the diff are 3.54, 3.7,3.9 in the commonly available diffs in the junkyard. Special ordering R&Ps gets pricy quick. 3.36 is available in one model for part of a production year, but i have never found one. I don't know what gears are in your tranny but some shorter legs may get your rpms up after hitting third gear. But would they then be too high for an occasional trip to 1/4-mile. I'd be happy to loan you a diff for some trials. If that dang muffler and swaybar weren't in the way of the driveshaft bolts, we could probably do a diff change at trackside since you don't have a fuel tank to work around.

Terry, your gear options at the diff are 3.54, 3.7,3.9 in the commonly available diffs in the junkyard. Special ordering R&Ps gets pricy quick. 3.36 is available in one model for part of a production year, but i have never found one. I don't know what gears are in your tranny but some shorter legs may get your rpms up after hitting third gear. But would they then be too high for an occasional trip to 1/4-mile. I'd be happy to loan you a diff for some trials. If that dang muffler and swaybar weren't in the way of the driveshaft bolts, we could probably do a diff change at trackside since you don't have a fuel tank to work around.

When i took mine out the last time it took me 29 minutes to have the diff on the bench, after the car was on stands.

Outstanding information about the Z differential guys! My knowledge is (as it relates to differential technology is limited), but I am certaimly a beliver in their stregnth now!

I think our converter (2400 rpm) is too tight to allow the sbc to maximize the rpm range that it needs to work in (2500-6500). I hope to reach out to some of my racing buddies and borrow one with more stall speed.

We added a good set of 10" slicks last weekend and traction is no longer a problem.

Adding a 3500 stall should really pick up the 60' times and overall ET's. These cars are fun to drive and always brings a smile to racers at the track (i.e.-Ford/ Chevy/ Mopar camp).

Watch out Keith we're coming for that LS car soon! LOL!

Thanks to all members for any information.  

This is a top notch site! 

Wow... Super good runs.  I loved the videos!

Do you think the fact he had a Turbo 350 helps his time out a little? Unless you are super good shifting, that is.  Your launches looked pretty solid regardless. I know I'm probably not fast enough to compete with a well done Auto. Great times though. :)

Man, that is a solid 60' with that T56

Dude... RIGHT!?

Edited by zohanisback

Actually, those 60' times kinda suck. For me to do better with my 8.5" slicks I need some sticky stuff on the track. My slicks are starting to look like sponges, whereas Terry's are brand new-those guys weren't even warming them/just doing a cleanup spin. Terry's team was beating me on the short end of the track and I was running them down at the fast end. I think a gear change is the ticket. I'd like to see us capable of laying down equivalent ETs. Most fun I've had at the track ever!

Well, about the short times, I will not be content until the little Z sbc project yields 1:40's in the 60'. I'm an old skool drag racer that has had many heavier cars hitting 1:40's in the 60' . Hmmm....I Ihave an aluminum headed 454 nasty roller motor ( honest 550 to 575 hp)  that might just be the ticket!!!!! 

As easy as it was to put the sbc in this car, a big block shouldn't be a problem at all (70lbs. more weight than the sbc with the aluminum heads). Plenty of clearance under the hood. However, the sbc is performing nicely.

We're going to get the alternator installed and maybe tag it for the street.

I'm truly impressed with how easy these cars are to drive......arrow straight, no wiggle, or other unplesant surprises. 

The only discrepancy we've encountered so far is that the brakes are a little weak. 

Feedback from an fellow members running BBC would be welcomed and appreciated.

A few pictures of my old vega....a 6:10 1/8 th mile street car but very bad manners at speed!!! 

post-39920-0-51836100-1372132255_thumb.jpg

post-39920-0-01588000-1372132273_thumb.jpg

post-39920-0-04646000-1372132303_thumb.jpg

post-39920-0-43242500-1372132320_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

mattd-you are doing a beautiful job-it will surely be worth it.  Make sure you do your safety stuff or you will be like SunnyZ and get run off from the track before you can really do some racing.  It's like having a loaded gun and no place to shoot it.

WarlordZ-put my number in your cell phone (256-366-4685).  My name is Keith.  Give me a call in late March and we can plan a trip to the strip on the same night.  We could have our own little Z-Fest.  HOPEFULLY, I will have all my winter work done.  I seem to be really good at ordering parts that won't fit at the moment, but hopefully I will have it all sorted out in time to get some runs with good cool air before it starts to cook down here.  I was getting a little bored last year trying to cut a good light and losing to the automatics. Hoping to go to lots of different tracks this summer just to add variety and mix it up some.  Will definitely hit Hwy 45 and Pickwick a couple times each.  Let me know if you every want to come down here for a visit to my shop-not a lot of Z-guys around, so I'd enjoy the company.