HybridZ

Electric fan thermostat switch location

280Z Turbo

I had a Derale adjustable thermostat with a radiator probe that failed on me a while back. I've been running it on a switch, but I don't want to worry about watching the temp gauge anymore.

Has anyone found a good way to permanently mount a fixed temp switch on an L28ET? I know there is a stock fan switch, but I have no idea what the set point is on that. I'm having a hard time finding anything smaller than 3/8" NPT as well.

Also, what should my set points be for a 180 degree thermostat? 200F on, 180F off?

Look in Summit or Jegs, they have an aluminum radiator hose doodad that will slip in the hose and give you one or several bungs to mount your switch.

Just be aware it needs to be a TWO POLE switch, one that has a single pole on it won't work as it acts as a ground...and that doesn't work well suspended in midair by a couple of rubber hoses.

(Don't make me repeat how I know this!)

I would set the switch to come on at 10F above the point where the car reaches stasis on a hot summer day in your area, when driven at 35mph in top gear. Shut off is usually fixed at 10 below that point, so if it kicks on in traffic, as soon as you start moving again it will shut off as airflow across the radiator will cool it on it's own.

I run a 160 thermostat, and the fan comes on at 175-180 and shuts off at 165 sensing on the bottom of the upper radiator hose (sensor always bathed in a flowing coolant.)

You can do it almost anywhere though, bottom tank of the radiator is pretty good place as well, but you will have to experiment to see where cut in and cut out needs to be by virtue of your Delta-T across the radiator under load and whilst moving.

I've bought and used a simple computer temp switch which triggers at 70 deg Cel. IIRC. It's a NO switch and has a 2 to 3 degree hysterisis. I use it to trigger a relay to power my engine fan. I place it high on the radiator but now I use a second one in parallel about halfway down. I had a coolant leak at one point and the switch didn't activate because it never came up to temp. The lower one compensates for a low coolant level if it happens. No cutting, just some wiring required which is simple to manage.

The switch came from Jaycar in Australia and is only a few bucks....cheap as and it works. I'm sure you guys will have something the same or very similar. 

Im running the 280 zx thermostat housing with the 2 censor location. 1 for my gauge inside and the other set to ground on my relay. Worked great for over a year now. Although im not sure at what exact temp it turn the fans on. I think its about 3/4 of the temp gauge