HybridZ

Eibach, Tokiko or what ?

My 71 Z is ready for new springs. Motorsport has only variable rate Eibach springs. They sound good to me but I read some complaints about ride height being uneven (front higher).

Anybody have experience with these?

Any other sugestions ?

All info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just street driving.

I've owned the car for 40 years and early on I had a set of the original Interpart springs and a set of Koni's.

Handled great but rode terrible and was too low. The front spoiler was always hitting.

The current shocks I believe are made by Gabriel or Monroe. I got them from Sears and they are pretty good. Also guaranteed "for as long as yoe own your car". Sears is losing on that one. This will be the 3rd set going in as I've owned the car for 41 years LOL.

The current springs are interpart circa 1980 and were the kind you cut to lower depending on the weight (front and back) of the car.  My car weighed 1300 front & 1350 back. The glass G-nose weighs less than the steel bumper..

Anyway my concern is Motorsport has only the variable Eihbach. They appeal to me being supposedly softer riding until you get into it a bit but I've read some things that say there are problems.

Just trying to get info.

Years ago I cut the springs in my '75 280Z, making them very much like the Interpart items.  It handled well enough, except on rough pavement, where it behaved like it had a live rear axle.  Over the years, I have put Eibachs in an 89 Maxima, where they transformed the handling from mediocre to very good; my '91 300zx has them, alnong with Tokiko Iluminas and the ride is just a little stiffer than I would like, but the handling is better.  More to the point, I put non adjustable Tokikos in my "78 Z, to get it a little lower.  I have put very few miles on my garare queen, but the shock/spring combo are very satisfacory at least for a street car.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I'd bring it back because I'm struggling with the same questions as FrankieD. My stock springs are in good shape as far as I can tell without rate-checking them, but my car needs new shocks.

My understanding is that suspension upgrades come in one of two flavors these days:

1) keep stock springs, in which case a modern gas-filled shock will contribute to a higher effective spring rate (wheel rate) and raise ride height

2) install a lowering spring, all of which seem pretty aggressive and may have other negative consequences (reduced jounce travel, excessive bump stop engagement, scraping hard parts, harsh ride)

Are there any other options on the table? What spring did you end up with, Frankie?

Edited by bacarl

That sounds like a bad spring rate. Did you cut coils off, or by chance are you running a heavier power train? I've also read (at least of the Eibachs) that it can be easy to install the rear springs in the front and vice versa. Any chance that happened?

• 2 months later...

Going back to this thread just one more time? I'm Looking to use my 1970 series 1 to take my wife golfing 2-3 days a week (clubs will not fit in a 370), I dont want the 'I'm a 43 year old car' feel and she doesnt want the 'check me out i'm pimpin, while her coffee spills everytime we hit a change in pavement'. Also, I noticed nobody has mentioned wheel size. Doesnt that matter a little? If an early stock Z ran 15" wheels with a oem shock and a nice set of Eibachs, would this acheive a good combo? I want it a little lower, little stiffer and it must have a nice stance...

Sorry about being repeditive. , but you have to cut me some slack, I'm a NEWBIE 

I have uses eibach springs before but on my 240sx. But I also installed them with kyb agx adjustable struts. On the softest setting with the struts the ride was nice firm but comfy. Now when I stiffened up the struts the ride got more harsh. But I used that car as my daily driver for years and never had any issues or complaints about that suspension set up. Except from my mom who would rather drive something with soft suspension. But as soon as I can get my z up running reliably my attention will go to springs and struts.

Tire sidewall construction is like one of the most important factors in how the car handles bumps. For your case I would also go with some oem shocks, kyb's or something if they make them, and some springs that are a little stiffer. If you want a soft ride, buy some all season falkens or something with a large sidewall. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry I've been gone...some family problems. Lost my Mom.

Anyway I finally went with the Eibach progressive springs from Motorsport. Shocks are from Sears (believe it or not). I've owned the car for 42 years and around 20 years ago Sears had these heavy duty shocks "guaranteed for as long as you own your car". Well they lost money on me as this is the 3rd set I've gotten free! The shocks are pretty go0od...made by Gabriel.

The result is very satisfactory to me. A little stiff but not excessive.

I'm using the 17" Konig wheel from motorsport with 225/45-17 tires. Looks great too.

Sorry I've been gone...some family problems. Lost my Mom.

Anyway I finally went with the Eibach progressive springs from Motorsport. Shocks are from Sears (believe it or not). I've owned the car for 42 years and around 20 years ago Sears had these heavy duty shocks "guaranteed for as long as you own your car". Well they lost money on me as this is the 3rd set I've gotten free! The shocks are pretty go0od...made by Gabriel.

The result is very satisfactory to me. A little stiff but not excessive.

I'm using the 17" Konig wheel from motorsport with 225/45-17 tires. Looks great too.

Pictures?