HybridZ

So I just finished modeling a part that I doubt will be commonly broken on our cars, But if anyone needs one, Let me know.   It's the Mirror-Visor Clip bracket.  We modeled it for the idea of being able to mod it to add/delete things.  Say you wanted to use a different mirror, we can adjust it to fit whichever you needed, and you'd still be able to clip up your visors.  Here's a picture.  If I print it I'll post that too.

post-4150-0-58507000-1394040438_thumb.jpg

Phar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm still printing parts is anyone is looking for anything for their Z.  I still have all the design files for everything on this thread and parts are available.  More I'm looking for additional parts that can be designed in cad to make them better or replaced since some parts aren't available in NOS anymore.  We can have things sintered into metal, through shapeways, but that's not too cheap.  I print in ABS, and am now printing in .15 to .35 mm layer heights for much nicer parts.  Let me know if you need anything.

Blower fan blades would be an epic undertaking. I'm sure it would be a long build and It might be questionable as to the durability but it's an idea.

I just got a Makerbot Replicator 2X at work. I'm hoping to find a few things to print for the z as well. I have the beginning of the FairladyZ emblem but I need to model the letters.

If I make anything else I'll let you know. I can send you the CAD files for anything I come up with if you want.

Sure that would be great.  We could collaborate on some projects if you'd like.   What software do you design in?     The blower fans wouldn't be so bad, Just a really long build, and I'm not so sure about the overhangs.  It would be at the larger end of our capacity.  I'm not sure it blower fans are that much on the unavailable list. They don't tend to really go bad I think.  Durability, that really depends on what you print in. Nylon might be the best idea since it's a moving part. 95% of my printing is in ABS. It works well though anything that would be in the sun for a longer time would need to be painted. (emblems)  Painting with chrome paint then white/black/red/blue for the details has worked well.

I want to start printing in Ninja-flex for printing grommets and boots. I need to see how well it holds up to oil/grease first. 

One project on my list is the drains for the Series 1 hatch, they look like a half oil bottle. But they allow airflow. I want to create a pair that can integrate fans that would run off a solar panel to push air out of the car on sunny days to keep it cooler inside. It's ideas...  That's the great part about 3D printing is that you don't have to stick with the OEM look.

I design in solidworks and have been printing in ABS as well.

I have access to the ninja flex stuff and have been curious to try it out. I'll let you know if I do. I just printed some fuel/brake line insulators and am having them cast in a durable rubber so we'll see how that comes out.

I love that hatch vent idea. I have a set of the oil bottle looking things. I can probably have them 3D scanned if you want a CAD model to work off of. It would be cool to have the solar panel replace the chrome vent grill.

My main goals with printing are to print sand casting molds. With the printer I can make a part in two separate halves which makes making the aluminum casting mold much easier if it's a complex part.

RIght, Casting molds are awesome.  I've seen a few guys do that.  In fact there's a threat on here about a guy casting his own injection and intake horns. For the molds you don't have to print them solid either.  you can print a 30% infill and the outside should be nearly perfect.  They are much easier than the CNC cutting.  

Let me know on the Ninjaflex, that'll be cool.  And Sure! If you get a model of those Oil bottle drains, that would be great, since those are next to impossible to find.  It'll save some modeling time.  Have you used 123design?  I use Creo, but I just got 123design and it looks pretty good. 

After using 123Design a little last night, it's a different bird, and frustrating since elements seem to disappear and the .STL's created aren't stable oh well.  I'm sure it's good, but there's a learning curve. I'm probably not doing something right.   Creo is pretty nice and intuitive for me.   A lot of people like Sketchup.

It'll be cool to see those drains in 3D.

If it's at all possible I'd love to get a model of the plastic piece on the headlight bezel that the adjusting screw goes into. At least one of mine broke and the other is in pretty bad shape so I'm not sure I could get proper dimensions off of it.

My headlights only illuminate the right side of the road now.

BFG,  Can you take a picture of where you're talking?  I think I know what you're talking about, one of my old S30's had an issue like that.  My 280 in in great shape, and if it's the part I'm thinking, it should be pretty easy to pull out and model.  We might be able to find a picture in the parts reference, but it wouldn't have measurements.  You're talking about the plastic insert that the adjuster screws into right?

No image in the parts reference unfortunately. But I think your thinking about the correct part. 

Heres my refinished headlight bucket. Its the plastic pieces that the only two screws in the image would screw into.

IMG_20140326_192010_332_zpse315e181.jpg

My old adjuster screws had rusted in place so when I went and took it apart to refinish they just stripped completely.

• 2 weeks later...

AZ 240, That's a great idea  The seats look naked w/o those. I wonder if mine still has them. 

BFG, ABS melts in acetone, so I couldn't tell you without trying it.  I know people have used high temp nylon for motor oil applications. we'd have to soak it and see.   I'm still not sure where you're talking. The one I was thinking is where the adjuster screws in on the right of your picture. not sure we're talking about the same part. Re-Reading your post, then it is the same piece.  I'll have to see if I can find one to see what it looks like.  I seem to remember it's rectangular on the face, fits in a square hole and pushes out when the screw is inserted to hold in place.

Edited by Pharaohabq

If you copy and paste these links onto your browser you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure we are thinking of the same thing though.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/electrical-s30/48758-headlight-casing-bucket-refresh-012.jpg

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/electrical-s30/43813-headlight-casing-bucket-refresh.html

• 3 months later...

Hi Pharaoh,

Just came across this thread after looking for a replacement horn button inner (also need a door dove tail!).

I am in Australia so would love it if you were still offering to send through the model/file for the horn button, or both.

Cheers,
James

ps. tried to pm you but couldn't, sorry - possibly because I've been a member a while without actually posting before...

Sent you a PM Hiroe...

So I had been looking into the Spring covers on the seats.  I was able to model one but the have to print flat or have a lot of support, So they're certainly doable.  How many of you would want one?  I don't know how much call there is for the seat spring covers?  They will take a while to print since there's so much surface area.

Phar