HybridZ

VQ40 and VQ35

dav_it

I have a VQ40de that I am trying to swap into my 280zx race car.  Does anyone know if the oil pan from a vq35de or 35hr or 37hr will fit the 40de?  I know the 35hr and 37hr are pretty similar to the 40de but didn't know about the pan.  The 40de has a rediculous pan that hangs down very very low and has the oil filter in the front which causes clearance issues.  From all I've researched there should not be any clearance issues with the crank but I am changing the oil pickup point.

Anyone with experience or knowledge please chime in!

Hmm Well I haven't seen the VQ40DE pan, but according to the  Nissan parts catalogue they're two different pans and are not interchangeable. though concievably you could swap the lower block to get the different pan. The Nissan P/N for the VQ35 is 110-AC700 and the VQ40 P/N is 11110-EA200. I don't know how interchangable they are, especially with the difference in displacement. I wouldln't guess that you can swap them. The pictures look different too. Obvious differences are starter location and oil filter location.  You should call the guys up at Turbo-Toys and ask if they know, since I know they dismantle a lot of VQ's. 

The HR engine has an entirely different lower block than both DE engines. the P/N is 110-JK20A. 

You may be able to use a dry sump to relocate your oil filter, but that won't fix the pan hanging down.  Maybe see if Greddy has a low profile pan, or prehaps you can have something machined... It's a tough issue.  My HR hangs down nearly an inch below my steering crossmember on my 78' 280z. I'm planning a skid plate just in case.

Thanks for the info.  I knew I'd have to change the upper oil pan along with the bottom pan if I were to swap them, but I didn't know if they would interchange.  Im guessing if any pan would fit it would have to be from the 37hr.  But I'll have to talk with Turbo-Toys if we keep going forward.