HybridZ

timing chain install help

I am replacing the timing chain on my 82 turbo motor and the cam sprocket isn't lining up according to the haynes manual. The manual does not contain any further instructions if you replace the chain/sprockets and alignment isn't correct. According to FSM the #1 piston should look like this:

post-30747-0-09526600-1372296181_thumb.jpg

Mine looks like this:

post-30747-0-34852100-1372296256_thumb.jpg and post-30747-0-89103200-1372296291_thumb.jpg

The camshaft sprocket is set in the #1 dowel but does not look like the FSM

post-30747-0-00617400-1372296850_thumb.jpg

mine looks like this

post-30747-0-70784100-1372296897_thumb.jpg

The TDC for piston #1 is set and the crankshaft sprocket is set like the FSM:

post-30747-0-85952600-1372296997_thumb.jpg post-30747-0-11526200-1372296389_thumb.jpg

I don't want to arbitrarily set the timing chain knowing that it does not match up. Any assistance you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

You should have set everything before you took the old chain off.  Looks like you removed the old chain without doing that.  If you had set the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, your pictures would probably match the FSM pictures.  Hopefully you haven't turned the engine over without the chain attached.

If you did take the chain off without presetting everything to TDC on compression stroke, and you haven't moved either the cam shaft or the crankshaft, you should be able to put the chain nd sprocket on, with the marks in the wrong place, then slowly turn the engine over by hand until you're at TDC on the compression stroke.  Then you'll be able to tell if you're off a tooth or two, or not, or then take the chain off and reset it..

I am not sure how I could have set everything prior to taking the chain off because I replaced the cam/crankshaft sprockets too. Further, I set the crankshaft to TDC prior to removing the chain and gears. Since the valves were misaligned, I did adjust those after removing the chain and sprockets.  

You set to TDC on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke.  Your first picture shows your exahust valve open.  The crankshaft turns twice for one turn of the camshaft.  The timing mark will hit zero twice for each camshaft turn.  The piston will hit TDC twice for each four cycles.

If you can put the camshaft back to where it was when you took it apart you might be okay to turn the engine by hand slowly and carefully to get on the compression stroke and get everything correctly lined up.

Don't forget that there should be an opposing cylinder that is on its compression stroke (#6 maybe?).  Make those lobes look right with the mark at zero and you should be safe to put the chain back on and rotate the crankshaft one turn so you can start over.  If you get lost on where things were when you took it apart.