HybridZ

coil and igniter setup for high rpm high CR N/A L6 engine

bigbreak_2000

I'm looking for alternatives to the CDI (MSD) setup for my engine. Need to be able to support ignition pulses for speeds up to 7.6k rpms. Any suggestions on a reliable coil and igniter setup? Perhaps someone here have upgraded there engine to run using a basic coil, or COP/coil on plugs or coil packs, let me know which plug wires and coils you're using.

I'm currently using a siingle channel igniter (adaptronics igniter and adaptronics ECU), MASD6 box, MSD Blaster2 coil, MSD tach adapter, NGK perf plg wires.

Someone suggested to me that I could perhaps just delete the MSD parts and add a coil from a 2004 GMC Yukon which apparantly can support up to 8k rpms. In the rally racing circles also the 1984 golf gti igniter is considered a good ICM. I can also get my hands on a low cost set of COPs from a toyota celica gts/matrix/pontiac vibe but not sure if these will fit. The ECU support 3 ignition outputs which I could simply wire in pairs to the IGT (ignition trigger) inputs on these coils (they dont require seperate ignitors).

LS1 coils are pretty good have been told the LS truck coils are even better, both have built in igniters they are CNP ( coil near plug) lots of guys are using these, do a search on LS1 and LS2 coils, I'm in the middle of converting to the LS1 coils on my 240Z

I'm using LS1/truck coils on my turbo engine in a wasted spark configuration. It doesn't get revved very high, but it's a relatively simple setup and I haven't seen many problems with it. I got the coils for free, you can find them on ebay for ~$80/set used and have a few spares.

They take a 5v TTL signal, so as long as your ecu can output that(If it can do COP, it should) you'll be fine.