HybridZ

Arizona Z parking brake

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i know i have been meaning to post this but things have been busy, so now i got time.

So these are the cables i got, Lokar 8ft u-cut cables

B6FFB0CD-1DC4-40F0-A984-A0796228964A-127

First issue i had involved the longer end on the cable. It would interfere with the black alum bracket that attached on the caliper 

1650F2A8-03AE-4BA7-BEBE-337D8E065B5B-127

I took the end to the grinder then used my tig to fuse back the material so i still have a strong bond 

5ED1E205-BF61-421C-9DDF-8C00DB17879F-127

Afterward i when to figure out how to atched my cable. Keep in mind we built our z for show not race so i always have to make sure it eye pleasing. I tried first off to see if i could use a piece of angle and go off the caliper but i realized that there was no room in back of the 6 piston willwood we have. I found a piece of scrap stainless steel kicking around our shop.

C107F4A1-2516-49F7-B368-91D6CE6434BA-127

Once i found that it would work i then attached the angle so i could attached the cable side to this bracket. End result was this

77DADB77-1F9C-4CEC-9ACC-5D5DA49F4C68-127

And here is it when it was attached to the caliper with the steel cable in it

4C012C8A-913A-4E8D-8C61-3D8190E5E563-108

Once i had the caliper side done i when to figure out how to make the other end. Now from what i know i think we got one of the first set Dave had made. These required around 2 inches of travel. To compensate for this i removed the pivot located on the top of the drive shaft. I then secured the bracket were the 2 black casing cable went to the driver side near the drive shaft.

93DF4900-87C7-4718-9607-6F4E28E5A8F7-108

After i inserted the black casing for the cables

2396B72C-C4CE-4F70-B292-CA78226EDD2D-108

Its kinda blurry but its the best i got. 

The kit include a block that takes the 2 steel cables and mounts it into 1 pivot point. I attached this direct to the arm of the hand brake. Also using a bolt i had laying around as a spacer so this bracket would not be able to move

A0E84908-B61F-4043-AECA-6387937D893B-108

Now all im missing is for Dave to send me 2 springs. Since im direct on the leaver in my shop test with a 2 ft bar on the wheels the caliper are locked solid on only 3 clicks on the leaver.

Now from what we know dave has corrected the ratio it takes to lock them. Ours were only a single start thread, and i believe the new ones are a 2 or 3 start, witch you should be able to use factory cables and not have to do all of this.

Ok so i know i have been meaning to post this but things have been busy, so now i got time.

So these are the cables i got, Lokar 8ft u-cut cables

First issue i had involved the longer end on the cable. It would interfere with the black alum bracket that attached on the caliper 

I took the end to the grinder then used my tig to fuse back the material so i still have a strong bond 

Afterward i when to figure out how to atched my cable. Keep in mind we built our z for show not race so i always have to make sure it eye pleasing. I tried first off to see if i could use a piece of angle and go off the caliper but i realized that there was no room in back of the 6 piston willwood we have. I found a piece of scrap stainless steel kicking around our shop.

Once i found that it would work i then attached the angle so i could attached the cable side to this bracket. End result was this

And here is it when it was attached to the caliper with the steel cable in it

Once i had the caliper side done i when to figure out how to make the other end. Now from what i know i think we got one of the first set Dave had made. These required around 2 inches of travel. To compensate for this i removed the pivot located on the top of the drive shaft. I then secured the bracket were the 2 black casing cable went to the driver side near the drive shaft.

After i inserted the black casing for the cables

Its kinda blurry but its the best i got. 

The kit include a block that takes the 2 steel cables and mounts it into 1 pivot point. I attached this direct to the arm of the hand brake. Also using a bolt i had laying around as a spacer so this bracket would not be able to move

Now all im missing is for Dave to send me 2 springs. Since im direct on the leaver in my shop test with a 2 ft bar on the wheels the caliper are locked solid on only 3 clicks on the leaver.

Now from what we know dave has corrected the ratio it takes to lock them. Ours were only a single start thread, and i believe the new ones are a 2 or 3 start, witch you should be able to use factory cables and not have to do all of this.

I like what you did.  and like you stated, I got a later set with multiple start threads, so I didn't need as long of throw.  And since I still had the original cables in place it was easier to use them.  I did move the attachment point on the caliper arm closer to the caliper to shorten the required movement of the cable.  It holds in my driveway which is quite steep, so I'm happy.

Xtreme_240Z-  are your cables pulling the caliper levers forward?  Something just looks different to me?

Yeah im pulling from back to front. but on one side im pulling on the top and the other side im pulling from the bottom. Since dave only have 1 right hand thread  i had to do it that way

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

m1noel-thanks for talking me thru this. Since the p-brake calipers are "sided," it would follow logic that if I wanted my cable to come from the front, rather than the back as you did, I could just switch calipers side to side (run the left on the right and vice versa)??

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2013 at 1:47 PM, m1noel said:

post-2061-0-28567000-1373834841_thumb.jpgUpdate, Picture added.  I also drilled the supplied bolts for safety wire.  Don't trust lock-tite alone.

Hello im glad I found your post because im now dealing with this issue but do you happen to have more pics so I know what parts to buy and how to install? im more of a visual person :) 

1 hour ago, DUDE said:

Hello im glad I found your post because im now dealing with this issue but do you happen to have more pics so I know what parts to buy and how to install? im more of a visual person :) 

You do realize you're asking for pics from a 5 year old post? I was surprised I even got a notification still. Good luck on getting it all working! Shouldn't be too difficult once you have it all mocked up.

Yea im sorry I have been physically unable to do anything for the past 8 years, but now im trying to tackle this but found this same problem :( I have placed the emergency caliper on to the rotor but I haven't the slightest clue how to place the cable since it seems to be to short and there is nowhere to mount it? I was hoping to copy your plan to have some success? is there no way for me to see pics on this site that are that old? 

10 minutes ago, itzgoten said:

You do realize you're asking for pics from a 5 year old post? I was surprised I even got a notification still. Good luck on getting it all working! Shouldn't be too difficult once you have it all mocked up.

Yea im sorry I have been physically unable to do anything for the past 8 years, but now im trying to tackle this but found this same problem :( I have placed the emergency caliper on to the rotor but I haven't the slightest clue how to place the cable since it seems to be to short and there is nowhere to mount it? I was hoping to copy your plan to have some success? is there no way for me to see pics on this site that are that old?