HybridZ

Modern Mustang V6 In Z31?

JGug1

My Z31 is nearing complete restoration. It was "pretty much done" and I was actually driving it when it was hit by a pick up truck while parked. The driver, a really decent guy, stopped and called state troopers to find the owner. His truck had taken out the left quarter panel. His insurance paid for the new restoration and this time, I am doing the interior including the seats and carpet. There is scarcely anything not done.......except the under hood. The engine still runs strongly with 150,000 miles on it......What to do? I am pretty much decided on going to the dark side but I really want to stay V6. So, what options. I've seen someone in Florida who does a VQ37VHR swap but his price is $15K and what about the under hood prep? I think my guy here could do that swap but......what about the new (2011 and later) Mustang V6? Almost as much horsepower and it gets over 30 mpg in the Mustang, a car that weighs over 400 pounds than the Z31. Anyone know of such a swap?

I've not heard of anyone making that swap, but I would love to see it.  If you're really seriously thinking of doing that swap, I'd give you a little advice first. I'd ask you to read through the VQ Engine swap information thread and apply some of the same points of the VQ swap to the Ford Engine. You should find the actual dimensions of the Ford engine to ensure it would fit under the hood of the Z31.  The points on harnesses, procurment (donors) and mounting of the engine in the VQ thread should also be applicable to the Ford engine.  Expect the cost of the swap to exceed your initial estimates, as there are always unforseen issues.

You're lucky the Truck Driver stopped and tracked you down very few people actually do that.  My wife's car has been hit 3 times and they never stopped to find her or anything. 3 hits on uninsured motorist doesn't look good on our insurance payment. (yeah I know it's not supposed to affect, but it does).  

I think you could source a VQ35DE for much less then the mustang V6, it should also be easier to install(given people have actually done it). Power and fuel economy should be similar as well.

It should be noted that the fuel economy ratings your seeing for the V6 mustang are mostly due to the 2.73:1 rear axle. With a final drive similar to what most VQ35s come with the fuel economy would be very similar.

Edited by RedBeauty84ZX

That's true about the Diff.  that 2.73:1 diff is pretty high geared, I wonder what the V6 is rated torque wise.  That being said the Mustang V6 is a 3.9L which is slightly bigger, I doubt it's built as stoutly as the VQ37HR, but I haven't seen all the Specs.  The VQ's breathe really well, but being the the 3.9L is from a mustang, you can bet there's already a lot of aftermarket support for it.  The mustang V6 has been around longer than most of the HR versions of the VQ.  The DE VQ is a great engine, but a tight fit.  I wonder how tall the 3.9L is. I don't think the 3.9L has the vvt for both the intake and exhaust like the VQ37HR has, but if the price is right...   

I'd still like to see another V6 ported to the S30 chassis.  Let me know if you have any questions, maybe I can help.

Any reason you are set on a swap? Just boost the NA engine you have and the ~300HP of the Ford motor will be attainable. When it pops, get a VG33E and make more power.

I have an LSx Z31. Even with all the documentation out there for LSx swaps I still had 3 years and several thousand dollars wrapped up in it before it even ran. Just be sure you know what you're getting into before staring. It would be a cool swap to see finished.

That's true about the Diff.  that 2.73:1 diff is pretty high geared, I wonder what the V6 is rated torque wise.  That being said the Mustang V6 is a 3.9L which is slightly bigger, I doubt it's built as stoutly as the VQ37HR, but I haven't seen all the Specs.  The VQ's breathe really well, but being the the 3.9L is from a mustang, you can bet there's already a lot of aftermarket support for it.  The mustang V6 has been around longer than most of the HR versions of the VQ.  The DE VQ is a great engine, but a tight fit.  I wonder how tall the 3.9L is. I don't think the 3.9L has the vvt for both the intake and exhaust like the VQ37HR has, but if the price is right...   

I'd still like to see another V6 ported to the S30 chassis.  Let me know if you have any questions, maybe I can help.

The Mustang V6 is a 3.7L and has been in production since 2007, same as the VQ35HR. I'd say the aftermarket is just as good or better for the VQ35HR...but cost wise a regular VQ35DE probably makes the most since.