HybridZ

eBay seat? Experiences

415DZ

Hi everyone,

I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to this. I'm debating a reupholstery job on my seats, but before that I wanted to explore aftermarket seats. People have suggested universal seats from eBay.

Can anyone who has bought any variety of these seats offer opinions on comfort, build quality, fit etc. if you can share pics and how it was installed would be great too.

Oh this will be going in a 240z. Thanks!

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
No "Best" allowed on HZ

The ones that I have sat in felt really narrow to me; and the bolster was too high on my shoulder. The gap in the side bolster was too low for my arm to fit through when shifting, and the upper "wing" just got in the way. That said, I am 6'1" tall and 250lbs; with a 34" inseam and 38" waist.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Phil used some that are sold out of the summit catalog, the procar ones or whatever. Here you can see them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPQ_dgG3o8

He said he had to cut them to make them fit properly though.

Other thing is the mounts. I've heard from a lot of different Z owners that the aftermarket brackets sit the seats up really high so they end up fabing their own. I'm a "builder" so I decided to just go that route with mine. I don't have Ebay ones though, I found some Corbeaus. I'd try to stick to name brands just because they are known to hold up a little better than the off-brands.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

I wouldn't suggest eBay seats to anyone. You have no idea what sort of (if any) testing has been done to ensure safety and quality. Look for a brand that you know has done the research, be it in racing, OE applications or child safety seats (Recaro fits into all these categories).

I'll second LanceVance's comments on eBay seats.  If you're looking to avoid the high cost of new brand-name seats, you might be better off looking at some high-quality used OE or aftermarket seats.  You'll get a better price and you can actually sit in them before laying out your hard-earned cash.  

I'm sure you've already seen them, but the 'seat' threads in this sub-forum that have some great info on various seat installations in all years of S30 -- I've referred back to them several times over the last couple of years.  I'm a real tight-wad....for my money, it's hard to beat used Honda seats.  They've got some really comfortable, supportive and stylish seats, even in their cheaper models.

Good luck with whatever you decide and be sure to post your results in one of the "Seat" threads!

Edited by jhm

I have RX8 seats and I had to cut out the stock mount brackets and bash the tunnel in to make the driver's(pwr) seat to fit. I'm glad I did, so don't be afraid to cut some stuff. Good Luck !

Glad the OP decided against, but I will answer your question as I actually have a set.

I bought a set as my car came with camaro seats from the PO, and I didn't want high bolsters of other aftermarket seats as I see how they rub against the window at times. Overall the quality is cheap, the foam is flimsy, and the cloth is pretty cheap (feels like it could tear). With the sliders they come with on top of mount adapters of some kind unless you are pretty short your head will be rubbing the roof, thus mine are mounted through the floor/frame rail, 1/8th inch mounting frame welded to the floor.  I do notice if you put your hand on the top and push back you can see a bit of buckling in the seat back, but I notice that in some OEM seats as well.

With that said, they were 80$ each shipped, they fit in the car pretty well (with the stock mounts removed) and hold up fairly well to spirited driving. They look very good and they had slots for harnesses which was a real plus. I didn't have to wonder how many times a previous owner farted in the seat, or what mess he spilled on them since they were new. Mine rests against a roll bar so the chance of them collapsing from a rear end accident is low, and the harnesses should keep me in place in the event of a front end collision. For how much I spent on them they worked pretty well for me and my purposes at the time.

Now with all that said, I am looking forward to swapping them out for some real recaro's or kirkey racing seats with a cam lock harness in the future and making some sweet chairs for my room once I swap them out.

• 5 months later...

I just recently went thru this topic of Seats for my Zx. most of the no name knock off's copies of recaro type seats sold on ebay, Claiming to be leather are Not!   they might look good from a distance but after closer inspection they are junk. just look at the prices and that should tell you something, ie.. 230 .00 for a pair of new seats? hummm......low quality is what youre getting.  I did have a great experience from an ebay seller in Thailand, that was very honest and sells tons of real recaro's on ebay, and very affordable too! I purchased a pair of real Recaro's in mint condition for 450.00 plus 170.00 shipping. that's basically less than 700.00 including shipping for an excellent sport seat. and it even arrived 2 weeks ahead of his estimated 8 weeks for delivery... I would really recommend this guy....here's a pic of my seats.....Rob

post-42127-0-60008000-1387950616_thumb.jpg

I just recently went thru this topic of Seats for my Zx. most of the no name knock off's copies of recaro type seats sold on ebay, Claiming to be leather are Not!   they might look good from a distance but after closer inspection they are junk. just look at the prices and that should tell you something, ie.. 230 .00 for a pair of new seats? hummm......low quality is what youre getting.  I did have a great experience from an ebay seller in Thailand, that was very honest and sells tons of real recaro's on ebay, and very affordable too! I purchased a pair of real Recaro's in mint condition for 450.00 plus 170.00 shipping. that's basically less than 700.00 including shipping for an excellent sport seat. and it even arrived 2 weeks ahead of his estimated 8 weeks for delivery... I would really recommend this guy....here's a pic of my seats.....Rob

Link to ebay? Or name? 

I just recently went thru this topic of Seats for my Zx. most of the no name knock off's copies of recaro type seats sold on ebay, Claiming to be leather are Not! they might look good from a distance but after closer inspection they are junk. just look at the prices and that should tell you something, ie.. 230 .00 for a pair of new seats? hummm......low quality is what youre getting. I did have a great experience from an ebay seller in Thailand, that was very honest and sells tons of real recaro's on ebay, and very affordable too! I purchased a pair of real Recaro's in mint condition for 450.00 plus 170.00 shipping. that's basically less than 700.00 including shipping for an excellent sport seat. and it even arrived 2 weeks ahead of his estimated 8 weeks for delivery... I would really recommend this guy....here's a pic of my seats.....Rob

It would be great to complete this post with the ebay user name of the seller you dealt with.

not that its hard to find. its nut.onlineshop11 ...

Edited by z240

Those seats are nice, I've always thought about those seats, but were never able to find them.  I think they come out of e30's?