HybridZ

Out with the old. In with the new(er)

Ok so here's a little tidbit of info concerning the ground control install in a 280z. As I figured, it's always more complicated than 1,2,3.  As far as using those MR2 struts... The gland nut at the top of the strut tube is too small to fit the diameter of the MR2 strut insert. I'm gonna have to take the gland nuts to a shop and have them machine out about an 1/8 of an inch so the strut insert will actually lock in to place. For those that haven't done this install, you take the front struts and put them in the rear tubes, then you put MR2 struts in the front tubes. This allows you to section about 3 inches out of each strut tube because you've got shorter struts. Again, I'm working on a 280z and obviously there are minor differences between this and the 240z. I'll post again when I actually have something to show.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to cutting my rear strut tubes down. I think  I did ok. The total length of the tube ended up being just a hair under 13 inches. The front strut inserts sit nice and snug in there and the glands nuts are doing their job. Time to get some shielding gas for my Hobart and weld it all up. I'm still waiting on the MR2 struts that I ordered and I'll be ordering my GC setup this week. I'm actually getting excited about this now. I think as long as I don't run in to any major hurdles, I'll have this thing back on wheels before the end of April. Woooot

• 4 weeks later...

ehren, how did your rear struts turn out and what was the overall length from the bottom of the tube to the top gland nut?  Mine are 15" (just like it says in the sectioning FAQ).  Information on sectioning 280Z rear struts are all over the place and I think I might have removed too much (80 mm) from the rear.  

Edited by Stock Car Mafia