HybridZ

WHITEHEAD PERFORMANCE

zman71

Has anybody heard of Whitehead Performance in Canada?  I was thinking about purchasing a Longnose R200 CLSD Differential with 4:11 or 3:90 gear ratios.  These diffs would be perfect for my stock RB 25DET swap.   They import these diffs directly from Japan and sell them for $1200 to $1500 depending on gear ratio.  They also seem to check the diffs for any damage before selling to any customers.  I just wanted to know if anyone has bought a diff from them in the past.

No personal direct experience but they've been in business for a LONG time. A member here recently purchased some used items from them and was treated very well. Hopefully others from the Ontario clubs will chime in with more personal experiences

I was just at their shop several weeks ago... good people, good shop, tons of awesome Zs going in and out of there, and parked around the building. The owner was a pleasant guy to deal with, if that makes any difference to your decision. 

I was just there today! I've know Greg (the owner) and Mike (the manager) for 20 years now, and I've been going to the shop all that time. They have a good repulation locally. As thedarkie mentioned, the place is always packed with Z's.

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old post but I ordered from Mike at Whitehead based on the feedback here.

I ordered a rebuilt R200 3.7 with a Quaife LSD in September 2020.

After 6 months of getting the run around and still no diff, I asked for a refund.

Now 5 weeks later and no refund.

I know lots of things can happen and COVID has thrown a wrench into many things.

I think I've been more than patient and I'm still hoping Mike will take care of this but for now, I wanted to leave some feedback.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rxx2rxx2 said:

I know this is an old post but I ordered from Mike at Whitehead based on the feedback here.

After 6 months of getting the run around and still no diff, I asked for a refund.

I know lots of things can happen and COVID has thrown a wrench into many things.

I think I've been more than patient and I'm still hoping Mike will take care of this but for now, I wanted to leave some feedback.

I wouldn’t probably be this nice . It’s bad enough you pay ahead of time and now no refund - BS

On 4/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, rxx2rxx2 said:

I  reached out to Mike just to give him a heads up and received this reply, I'm sure you will hear from him very shortly.  I didn't know about the single parent thing, that must be quite recent and explains a few things. Hope this helps.

AOh14GjgFgNbTFiMPqCZpiRiytS3C3wHodJNpY5BBXpmzQ=s40

Whitehead Performance

5:51 PM (44 minutes ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the heads up. yup that one slipped by me both putting the diff together and now the refund.
So far behind on things - everytime the kids get sent home i have to be home with them at least 50% of the time (single parent).  Just can't keep up with everything like this.  Not complaining just being straight on what my situation is. 
But everyone here is okay and i hope the same for you on your end.

Thanks,

Mike Hansen
Manager, Whitehead Performance
416-665-2220
uc?export=download&id=0BxZegFGh-qtGdVZPOVplRFJPS1U&revid=0BxZegFGh-qtGQXRid2F5NkczeXVZL0tEcjFWUGEzY1hmQyt3PQ

• 5 weeks later...

My only suggestion is to pepper them with contact. E-mails, phone calls etc. they don’t need to be angry (even though you are certainly entitled to be). Eventually they will want you to go away and they know there is only one way to do it.

I would throw in the statement “further action” if you need to. Does not need to be specific. 

18 hours ago, 260DET said:

The world is going mad, seriously, what a bummer. But I'd be pressuring the CC people, what has time got to do with a claim like this?

Think of it from the perspective of a business owner who gets victimized by the chargeback process:

You did a transaction with a crazy customer 6 months ago, now, months later, the merchant is informed that there has been a chargeback. Not only does the chargeback immediately take the money out of the merchant's account and return it to the customer, but it also puts a black mark on the merchant's record and costs $35 for the paperwork processing fee. Sometimes they do a dispute and then a chargeback. Double the fees, double the fun! After all this happens you are guilty until proven innocent at which point you can win back the money that you should rightfully have been paid.

You used to have 30 days to do this, now I think it's 90. The merchants are seriously bent over in this process, and it's all agreed to as part of the merchant services agreement with the bank. It's in the fine print, didn't you read it???

I'm not for people getting screwed on their transactions, but you have to realize it happens both ways. 90 days is more than enough time, IMO.

Edited - the credit card charge challenging process requires oversight.  I don't think that it's a given that the consumer always gets their money back.  It's a process.

If it was a U.S. business you could sue them in small claims court, report them to the attorney general in the state they are registered in, and also report them to the Better Business Bureau.  Those are all remedies/actions for the consumer to take against companies that do not fulfill their obligations.  Which is what Whitehead is doing here.  But they're in Canada and the US Attorney General's office has a lot of other things going on right now.

If a business needs a loan they should go to a financial institution.  Whitehead has taken this person's money and is using at as collateral for loans or to stay afloat, paying their own bills.  Often, what is happening here is a precursor to bankruptcy.  Business will take consumers' money, use it to pay salaries, etc., delay as long as possible, then claim bankruptcy, leaving the consumer screwed.

As JMortensen said though, there is a time limit.  That should have been a sign, that Whitehead was stringing you along for a reason.  They know about the time limit too.  All in all, it's not a good sign.  Looks like Whitehead is in trouble.  Avoid them, until they either get back in shape or go under.

https://whiteheadperformance.com/about-us/

Philosophy

We are a customer service driven company We’ve built up and maintained our reputation over the last 30+ years by providing honest and friendly service, by going that extra mile to make sure our customers are happy and 100% satisfied with the work performed on their vehicles. It is no different today. Customer service is our number one priority.

Edited by NewZed