HybridZ

Ms3x install

madkaw

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new flywheel worked out well . I also bumped up my injector size to 42lb Bosch’s.

Made the change in fuel requirement and it fired right up and idled well. Drove it around for about an hours and let Tuner Analyze do it’s thing . Most cells were a bit rich, but not off a bunch . Now I won’t have to worry about pushing my 26lb injectors to their limit . 
I even did a 0-60 time to verify tune and it was the same exact time down to the 100th second 

22 hours ago, HuD 91gt said:

Very interesting about the dwell. What made you come up with that idea?

Not 100% that this was necessarily a fix , still tuning . When I searched on EFI support the recommendations had changed to 4ms for the D-585 coils. Someone actually got the GM dwell tables and copied them . Another guy came up with 3.7ms based on GM tables . Anyways MSextra recommends 4

• 5 months later...

Did a little clean up in the engine bay today . Moved that damn stepper IAC to lose some off the rubber hoses I had everywhere . Finally got a good oil/air separator for the crankcase . 
Have my second wide band set up now . One for each bank of cylinders 

2E1D75D0-85E6-491A-9FAD-311CB5F58E4A.jpeg

65491449-171B-4F69-9159-36F0FB8CB005.jpeg

719AAEA0-DA70-4292-B3B5-ED401519B536.jpeg

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Im still not keeping up -lol

Now tuning on a Protunerz intake . Not much different than the last intake but the longer runners help the low end . 

Something I’ve noticed with ALL these plenum intakes is that the air is not always equal across the cylinders . I am probably one of the very few that has a 6-2 header that continue on to duals AND have a Wideband on each side of the exhaust . The tendacy of these plenums that under high vacuum situations ( idle or lower KPA) , the first 3 cylinders indicate that they run leaner - as if they are stealing the air out of the room . As soon as KPA gets above idle the AFR’s start to even up quickly . Not sure if you could detect this on the plugs unless you ran your engine very lean . 
The Megasquirt 3X allows for injector trim which I have been adjusting . To get AFR’s to match up between the two banks I add as much as 20%  to high vacuum cell areas  . It also can be felt by a smoother engine operation . Now this is mostly over- run conditions and  light throttle modulation during highway cruise . 
I’ve checked calibration on my Spartan 14.7 wideband and they seem correct . 
I have my ego sensors separated by banks . I guess I also wonder why tuner analyze won’t pull in more fuel in these situations , I use the same AFR table for both ego sensors . 

Just thought this was interesting and most won’t see this with their 6-1 header where it all averages out 

IMG_8022.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, madkaw said:

Im still not keeping up -lol

Now tuning on a Protunerz intake . Not much different than the last intake but the longer runners help the low end . 

Something I’ve noticed with ALL these plenum intakes is that the air is not always equal across the cylinders . I am probably one of the very few that has a 6-2 header that continue on to duals AND have a Wideband on each side of the exhaust . The tendacy of these plenums that under high vacuum situations ( idle or lower KPA) , the first 3 cylinders indicate that they run leaner - as if they are stealing the air out of the room . As soon as KPA gets above idle the AFR’s start to even up quickly . Not sure if you could detect this on the plugs unless you ran your engine very lean . 
The Megasquirt 3X allows for injector trim which I have been adjusting . To get AFR’s to match up between the two banks I add as much as 20%  to high vacuum cell areas  . It also can be felt by a smoother engine operation . Now this is mostly over- run conditions and  light throttle modulation during highway cruise . 
I’ve checked calibration on my Spartan 14.7 wideband and they seem correct . 
I have my ego sensors separated by banks . I guess I also wonder why tuner analyze won’t pull in more fuel in these situations , I use the same AFR table for both ego sensors . 

Just thought this was interesting and most won’t see this with their 6-1 header where it all averages out 

Good stuff to know! Once I get spark fixed with my new coils I might toy with the trim for the first 3 at idle and see if it helps even more. Idle/cold starts/warm up enrichment always feel like a mess to me

18 hours ago, Zetsaz said:

Good stuff to know! Once I get spark fixed with my new coils I might toy with the trim for the first 3 at idle and see if it helps even more. Idle/cold starts/warm up enrichment always feel like a mess to me

Starts are always the challenge I feel . Hot start when one side is struggling to get fuel makes it worse. I’m still working these things out myself with my new tune . 

To get a butter-smooth start, I think you really need a start-up air solenoid :( dialing-in the AFR at start-up using engine temp and/or initial start timer as an input will go a long way, but trying to keep a 700rpm idle when warm AND have the engine maintain an idle at cold-start without giving it some gas is a bit tricky without a smidge more air. Drive-by-wire would fix that too, but now we’re getting really fancy. 

let us know if you figure it out, and what your settings are! 

On 3/4/2024 at 11:25 AM, AydinZ71 said:

To get a butter-smooth start, I think you really need a start-up air solenoid :( dialing-in the AFR at start-up using engine temp and/or initial start timer as an input will go a long way, but trying to keep a 700rpm idle when warm AND have the engine maintain an idle at cold-start without giving it some gas is a bit tricky without a smidge more air. Drive-by-wire would fix that too, but now we’re getting really fancy. 

let us know if you figure it out, and what your settings are! 

I am running a stepper IAC