HybridZ

Plasti-dip = 1 blue Z

280zex

That's right I sprayed my 280Z with light blue plasti-dip... check out dipyourcar.com if your interested. I purchased the full spray kit and 6 gallons of dip. I have 1 gallon left. I'm not connected to dip your car, just a consumer.

I found out that the plasti-dip likes to stick to the window rubber/trim really well. It did come off like it is supposed to, however this took a liberal amount of elbow grease. Also I should have masked off the tail lights. The dip did come off, but  it did leave remnants around the edges that I cant reach with out removal of the lights....

post-1621-0-06569300-1373159272_thumb.jpg

post-1621-0-06881200-1373159330_thumb.jpg

Looks good . Got my pro-kit last week . Doing matte black . Any advice ( other then the mentioned ) , haven't done it before ? How many gals did you use , 5 ? How many coats ? what was the original color ?

Edited by Domzs

Looks good . Got my pro-kit last week . Doing matte black . Any advice ( other then the mentioned ) , haven't done it before ? How many gals did you use , 5 ? How many coats ? what was the original color ?

The dip likes the rubber trim, almost too well, so be prepared for that. Get some xylene, its useful to smooth ruff edges. My gas door sits too close to the back edge. I trimmed it but still had issues opening the door with out tearing the dip.

I used 5 gallons, for a nice thick coat. Original color was metallic whine berry/root beer, Nissan paint code #?? I have some bondo on the hood. it is still visible thru the rustoleum primer and dip. My hood is fubar and needs some serious re-working, but I'm no body man!!! 

Edited by 280zex

Did you paint it in an paint booth?

Just curious, as to how well this would work for the average person who wants to get a decent cheap paint job in his garage.

Also, are you considering the gloss they have available?

I've been thinking of doing this dip, but haven't committed to it yet.

Did you paint it in an paint booth?

Just curious, as to how well this would work for the average person who wants to get a decent cheap paint job in his garage.

Also, are you considering the gloss they have available?

I've been thinking of doing this dip, but haven't committed to it yet.

No gloss for me. This is my first paint/dip, and I did it in my drive way. I borrowed a car tent from a friend and watered down the driveway, but that didn't help much. So I have a bit of over-spray on the concrete, oops.

I bought a gal of satin black a year ago to do my Z then I saw plasti dip on youtube , decided to give it a try . Looks easy enough , less body prep . I'm not paint/body man either but have done some body work and priming . I'm going to do the airdam and rear spoiler first to see this stuff works . Thanks , 280zex .

not bad. but i think you should of just went with regular auto paint, not much more effort imo.

Where do you get your car painted? Lol

There is almost no prep involved in plasti-diping cars, BARELY any masking and I doubt you can find a matte job (in this case) for less than 500.

Not a fan of the blue but nice job on the dip! I find plasti-dip is a really great product and definitely not as bad as some people make it sound. As long as it was applied correctly with the right amount of coats then hell you got a matte job for less than 1/8 of the price.

High speed test time!!! How well is it holding up?

The plasti-dip is pretty tough and holds up well. There is a weight penalty tho, 9lbs per gallon @ 5 gallons sprayed. Its funny that most people who have seen it so far think that its a rattle can paint job, due to the non-glossy look. I like the light blue even tho it is a bit bright. Maybe next time I will go with solid white :wink:

The plasti-dip is pretty tough and holds up well. There is a weight penalty tho, 9lbs per gallon @ 5 gallons sprayed. Its funny that most people who have seen it so far think that its a rattle can paint job, due to the non-glossy look. I like the light blue even tho it is a bit bright. Maybe next time I will go with solid white :wink:Nic

Nice job.. what was the total cost and prep time?

Nice job.. what was the total cost and prep time?

475$ total cost for the HVLP blower and paint spray gun, 6 gallons blue dip, 1 respirator with filters, 1 roll painters tape and 1 gallon of xylene.

Total prep time was 3 hours of washing and then re-washing the Z, hand dry then masking. then 4 hours spray time, with 15 min cooling off periods (food/drink) between every 2 pots (on the spray gun) of dip spraying... So basicaly call it a 10 hour day, to include clean up of masking and minor dip-repair..

FYI: I use a soap base called orvus, aka sodium laureth sulfate, for car wash soap. Its a super grease cutting agent :wink:

Edited by 280zex

Turned out pretty cool Mik!

I like the color, I think the tail panel should be black though, but that's a personal preference, I'm definitely leaning toward a white plastidip for my next paint job. As for longevity, I've had a plastidip badge on my daily for the past 7 years and it's still holding up well. 

Ya the weekend plan is too detail the rear panel, it will be black around the tail lights. Also the metal grate in the rear air dam will be black. I have been wanting to do the rear light panel for some time now, as I want to check the rubber gaskets around them lights and what not.