HybridZ

Been holding out on you guys :-)

Footbrake, leaving with 7-8 lbs of boost

Just found out part of the problem...the MegaSquirt was pulling up to 4* of timing for the second half of the track due to the intake temps above 200*F!! I completely missed that in my initial evaluation of the day's tuning...

Timing is 19-20 * at 18-19 psi

Just to do a little bench racing...

Best 60' with the 2JZ was 1.32 so for every .1 in the 60' = .15 in ET, so roughly .3-.4

Car is around 200 lbs heavier than with the 2JZ, roughly .1 for every 100 added weight... that's .2

Car pulling out timing for half the run, maybe another .1

Add all that up, and it is right where I was with the 2JZ...at 30psi and 100 shot of nitrous

Car has A LOT more in it :wink:

• Like 1

Won't be able to get track video until I'm legal again... My NHRA license expired a couple years ago, so I cannot simply renew ... I have to go through the whole process again.

NHRA physical next week, then...

Hopefully certification run the following week...

• 2 weeks later...

NHRA license runs and physical complete - Woohoo!!

I worked on the launch tune, and left the rest alone. I needed to make two 9 second passes, and knew it was good for mid 9's already...

So...performance gains were found completely in the 60'

Last pass was...

60'  ... 1.456

1/8 ... 6.081

mph .. 117.05

1/4 ... 9.443

mph .. 145.44 

Again, sorry, no video...

• 1 month later...

Quickie update...

As many of you know, little over a month ago I had something let go in the bottom end of the built motor at the track, effectively destroying the short block and everything inside with maybe 500 miles on it. Fortunately the heads escaped unscathed...

Had a thread on here, but it all disappeared with the site crash a month ago...

Anyway, after a month and a half of number crunching, and agonizing on what to do since a new built bottom end is not in the cards right now, and I know I won't feel comfortable with just a stocker... I've decided to take the car down for a while to do some things to it that I have wanted to do, part out the turbo LS setup, and go back to the 2JZ.

I'll be posting some items in the for sale section shortly...

Sorry to hear that. Did you figure out what let go in the bottom end ? Also a LSX block is 2500 bucks give or take another 500 in machine work and you won't have weak block problems anymore.. Not that a aftermarket rotating assembly is very affordable. 

Sorry to this ! So ahhh..... How much gonna want for the hotside ?

I'm going to keep the turbo and maybe the wastegate, so I guess it would depend on how much of the hot side you would want/need...

I know this isn't the for sale section, so if someone is interested, PM me and we can talk further :-)

Sorry for your misfortune, sounds like you had THE bad experience with an LSx.  BUT, thats why most people get the setup figured out on a stocker. I killed about every bearing in the bottom end, and I'm out $450.

Out of curiosity, what does a 2J cost to make the power you had before? Which was?

Starting with a stock longblock, (just picked up a complete JDM 2JZGTE pullout with trans for 1600)

I dropped in a pair of HKS 272 cams ($800) in a stock longblock, with stock valvetrain, and ran as quick as 9.7 @ 144 with 72mm turbo, and supporting fuel/engine management.

I ran it for a couple years like that, and engine still ran fine when pulled, and was only pulled when my built engine was done... 

For my previous built longblock,

.020 oversize Ross forged pistons and Eagle rods

Stock n/a block and stock crank

ARP 1/2 in head studs

ARP mains

Ported head

1mm oversize Ferrea valves

crower 280 cams, springs, retainers

Stock metal head gasket

100 shot of nitrous and 30 psi boost went 8.91@153 with R200 rear and 300zx CV's

The money spent was pretty equal between the two built engines (2JZ or LSx)

Interesting. 

Wish you'd gotten that setup lined out. I think you would have squealed when it went low 8's like it could have.  :P

I know, I know... It has not been an easy decision to make. The time, $ spent, and final product is hard to walk away from.

It definitely had the potential to go low 8's once tuned and sorted. (Sigh)